Admission Essay Peer Review

vha08

Support
Một số trường đại học ở Mỹ sẽ bắt đầu nhận đơn cho khoá mùa thu 2012 vào tháng 6-2011. Các em cần chuẩn bị ngay từ bây giờ for early decision.

Tôi chỉ sẽ review/edit essay cho các em ở diễn đàn www.xuatnhapcanh.com, không nhận review riêng tư nữa.

(For those who are in the 12th grade, now is the time for you to prepare for college admission. OK, let the fun begin . Post your essay here)

Note: 09-30-2011 is the deadline.

vha08

Support
Essay tips

(Someone somewhere on the internet wrote this)

Now we're in the most anxiety-producing part of the application process—writing the essay response. We know that many people struggle with the writing process. We also know that the requirement to respond to an essay question like the following can be intimidating:
One that seems like one more school assignment in an already crowded calendar, like the Annual Signet Classics Student Essay Contest that asks you to read The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and answer a question such as: How do different female characters in The Moonstone embody or defy what we might think of as traditional Victorian or nineteenth-century values and expectations for women's behavior?

One that asks you to talk about yourself in some broad or narrowly defined way, such as the all-ink.com $5,000 scholarship contest that requires a 50-200 word essay on who has had the greatest impact on your life, and a 50-200 word essay on what you hope to achieve in your personal and professional life after college.

Developing an essay can be intimidating. Anne Lazaroney, a guidance counselor, says that students don't know how to begin writing essays, and they are intimidated by the competition, figuring that they can't possibly write well enough to win anyway, so why bother?
Let's look at the facts. You are graduating high school, right? Some educators apparently believe that you are capable of putting together coherent thoughts on a piece of paper. Plus, we already know that 90 percent of the people who apply—valedictorians, creative writing gurus, school paper journalists, and just plain folks—have already failed to get to the finalist circle because they messed up the application. This information suggests that you probably have a decent chance at winning a scholarship if you put your mind to it.
Before we go any further, we should be clear on one point: regardless of the theme of the scholarship contest, Wilkie Collins or anything else, the essay is really about you. Clearly, Signet wants to encourage enjoyment of the classics, but more than anything else, the judges want to know about you, your thoughts, your beliefs, and your ideas.

Most Students Don't Know How to Start the Essay...

Guess what? Getting started is sometimes the most difficult part of writing for professional writers as well. However, never start writing without doing a couple of things first.
Understand the purpose of the writing and the motivation of the askers

Analyze the question or topic
Write down the essay question. How many parts does it have? Does the question suggest a structure or order, such as first describe your role in...then tell why it had the following effect...and what you learned from it....

Do you have to do research first, or is this a question that is strictly about you that will come from an analysis of yourself?
Why have the judges asked this question or posed this topic? Recognizing that all essays are about you, how are the judges planning to get to know you through this essay?

Analyze the Organization

What is this scholarship about? Who founded it? What is the mission of the organization? Why are they providing scholarship money? Who are the judges? What special points of view do they bring to the judging?

How do you find out this information? Usually, you can find a great deal of background from the scholarship Web site or the printed material provided by the scholarship group. Dottie Theriaque from the Community Foundation says that if you have a question about purpose or anything else, call and ask. Funders are eager to help applicants; that's what they are all about.

In a phone call with Josh Barsch, founder of the Dale Fridell scholarship, he was very clear in his explanation that his scholarship group does not believe that only valedictorians or super jocks or Ms. "I Belong to Every Club" should get help going to college. Josh notes that once you leave school, the only person who will care about your GPA is you. Your success will be based on what kind of person you are, how you approach challenges, and what your work ethic values are. Your GPA may be some indicator of your potential, but you will have to figure out how to reach that potential, and it's that process that will set you apart. That's why the Fridell scholarship doesn't request GPAs and SATs and club lists. Kind of levels the playing field, doesn't it? Plus, if you are the valedictorian or the super jock, the only message is that you are not solely defined by that honor or activity. You are much more, and Josh's contest asks you to go beyond the usual high school achievement trappings and reveal more about yourself.

Create goals for the writing

For example, your goal in responding to an essay might be to:
• Demonstrate personal traits in yourself that are similar to the personal traits of the person for whom the scholarship is named. (The Brower Youth Award is given in honor of David Brower, to "honor his lifetime of bold action, inspiring mentorship, and principled effectiveness, which helped give birth to the modern environmental movement.")
• Use present tense and optimistic phrases to show that you are an active, vibrant, can-do person.
• Show how your strong family support contributes to your success.
• Emphasize your sense of balance in academics and family life.

Do these goals sound so generic that they could be written for any essay? That's not necessarily true. An essay for a scientific award may not want to portray a person as vibrant and can-do (and possibly lacking in the self-discipline necessary for rigorous scientific study) but instead as a diligent, highly curious person with a passion for understanding why things work and the patience to test all of the variables to come to a valid conclusion.

Depending on the award and the personal circumstances, a goal of the essay might be to demonstrate a commitment to succeed despite unstable family circumstances, such as living in a variety of foster homes. Using a different approach, a conscious choice to forego balance between academics and family life to pursue a passion for learning about gene mapping to search for a cure for the multiple sclerosis that has made a family member an invalid.

Develop a Theme

Some may argue that you should develop a theme for your essay and then write goals. We believe that the opposite is true. When you read an essay question, it may be immediately apparent to you that the theme, or the message that you want to convey, has to do with your commitment to the healing profession as an extension of your desire to better people's circumstances. Wonderful! However, if the theme of your essay is not immediately clear, break down the work by establishing a set of goals based upon your understanding of the essay's intent and the mission of the funding organization. These goals may lead you to one or more themes for your essay. In the set of goals above, the theme that may be emerging from the goals is an appreciation for the family or the team as a cornerstone to individual and group success. You can use your experience as a club leader in developing a team approach, and your decision to ask members of your family to be on your college team to proofread, edit, and search for opportunities as ways to show that you value working relationships and your leadership style will be successful in inspiring group success.

No matter which approach you take, goals first or theme development first, the important takeaway is to establish a theme and goals and to be sure that the theme and goals relate you as a person to the subject you are writing about, even if the subject is a character in a Wilkie Collins novel or a pending piece of legislation.

Outline Your Response

Many people write by beginning anywhere with a free flow of ideas that they then mold into an appropriate order. Yes, that can work—you can occasionally start a project by writing down random thoughts. However, we recommend that you try very hard to approach your essay by writing an outline of what you want to say. The outline will assure that you have the right order and that you will cover all of the points you want to cover. Outlining does not necessarily mean that your essay goes into a required chronologic order, for instance. Some stories are best told by starting in the middle, then describing how you got there and how you are going to go forward. The outline will make it easier for you to move around the timing of various parts of the story to get the most dramatic effect.

There is a downside to the outline, we think. Sometimes it is difficult to make the transition from one section of the outline to the next, making the essay sound like explanatory words hung on a frame, very skeletal in effect. That's why later in this chapter, we will pay special attention to transitions so that your essay flows well.

It's Time to Write

Now it's time to fill in that outline and tell your story. We have chosen not to give you a lot of new rules and directions in this section because we want you to simply get the story out on paper. You already have the basics—a theme in mind, a set of goals to meet, and an outline to work from. Do your best and we'll meet you in the next section to talk about it.

It's Time to Rewrite

Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo made dozens of sketches before embarking on their masterpieces. Read the biography of any writer and discover that everyone—yes, everyone— needs to rewrite. You must do so because this is not an e-mail or a last-minute book report, it's a ticket to money if you do it right.

Show, don't tell.

Go back through your essay. In every sentence where you have told the judges something, is there a way to show by example? Consider the following.

My family does not have a lot of money. I worked my way through high school at Walmart.
This is a good piece of information to share. However, the message can be made more vivid by sharing more detail.
My family does not have a lot of money. I worked at the local Walmart most evenings and did my homework on the bus ride home or after work.

Much better. Now the judges know that you were very busy and can feel the squeeze of needing to earn money and still get your schoolwork done. One more time.

My family does not have a lot of money. We work together on a schedule so I can earn money for college and stay on top of my schoolwork. Most weekdays after school, I attend one of my club meetings then catch the late bus home. I usually finish my math homework on the ride. I get home in time to grab supper ahead of time (Mom always has something ready on the stove) then work on other homework until Dad drives in at about 5:35 pm. We pass each other in the driveway, transferring keys and information. ("I aced the math test"; "It needs gas on the way home.") The fifteen-minute drive gets me to Walmart in time to punch in for the 6 pm to closing shift. On nights that the family needs the car, Dad drives me both ways. I'm home again by 9:30 pm, in time to chat with my folks and watch thirty minutes of ESPN before going to bed.

Now this is a cool guy in a great family. Everybody participates, everybody cooperates. You can feel the close timing involved in making this situation work. You can hear the easy interaction of people who like one another. You know that this guy is not a robot because he needs a little human interaction plus a little TV before starting over. We like him. Don't you? We'd like to help out this family; they deserve it. Bingo!

Present Tense, if Possible

The present tense allows people to live the information with you. It's not always possible, but it's a great strategy when it can work. The above paragraph could have been written in past tense, e.g., "Dad drove me both ways." It's still a powerful sentence, but it's already over. When Dad "drives," we're right there in the car.
Kill the Adjectives and Adverbs

In Noah Lukeman's marvelous book about writing, The First Five Pages, he suggests that you go through your first page of writing (your whole essay, in this case) and circle every adjective and adverb. Then see if you can use a more descriptive noun or verb to make your writing crisper. He uses examples like substituting "he was a tyrant" for "he was a brutal man" or "he was sprinting" for "he was running quickly." Try it. Your writing will be immediately refreshed by using fewer words to do the job efficiently.
Make the Introduction Inviting

The introduction invites your reader to keep going. This is not the place to summarize—why read the rest if you get the picture in the first paragraph? Instead, tantalize and encourage the next step. How? Use emotion, raise a question, and create surprise with a surprising fact.

Here is a possible opening for a discussion of a student's work with a literacy program.

I am a literacy volunteer. I did not decide to do this work because studies report that 21 percent of adults (over 40 million) in this country are functionally illiterate or because 43 percent of people with reading deficiencies live in poverty or even because 70 percent of people with reading deficiencies have no job or only a part-time job. My reason for becoming a literacy volunteer was much simpler. My Dad couldn't read.
Okay, I'm hooked. I didn't really know how bad the literacy problem is, but, even more, now I need to know if this person was able to teach her Dad to read, and how this person, with an illiterate parent, made it to the point of applying for a scholarship and heading for college.

Create Workable Transitions

Transitions are hard whether you are writing a speech, composing an essay, or trying to get your little brother to go to bed. The trick is to show your reader where they are going next and why it's a logical next step. Try not to use standard transitional phrases like "Secondly" or "As a consequence." Try repeating the prior thought and connecting to the next task. For example, "Once I learned how to scale rocks on the artificial rock face, I needed to try out my skills on a real mountain."

A Compelling Conclusion

As in the introduction, don't summarize. Essays are too short to need a review at the conclusion. Instead, reemphasize the main point or circle back to the beginning and tie the loop. Consider the literacy introduction. The body of the essay should have been about the student, her efforts as a volunteer, her feelings about the difficulties faced by those who can't read, her recognition of the gift that reading is, and her decision to pursue a teaching career as a result of her experience. This story begs for a conclusion that answers the question, "Did her Dad learn to read?"

Some possibilities:

Dad may never read Dostoyevsky, but we are both thrilled that he can now read his sister's letters from his hometown in Romania and doesn't have to pretend to read the newspaper anymore.
Dad never did learn to read. But through his struggle, I learned that I want to give the gift of literacy to others, the gift that no one has been able to give to my Dad.
Very different endings, but in each, we hear the effect that the experience has had on the writer. That's the point. We gained insight into this woman's life through her writing.

Take a Breather

After you write and revise your essay, you need to take a break from it so that you can return with a fresh set of eyes. It's amazing how the sparkling prose you thought you wrote turns out to need a lot more work once you've gotten a little distance. Even more amazing is the realization that some of your writing is actually much better than you expected, now that you've followed some very standard writing rules.

Use Outside Readers

Ask people to read your essay and help you with honest feedback. Ask them what they liked most and least. Ask if the essay is written in a logical fashion with reasoning that is supported by examples or other proof. Ask your readers to correct typos and grammar. Every new pair of eyes helps.

I'm Not That Interesting!

You don't need to have an illiterate father or wage a battle against cancer to write an interesting essay. The guy who is working at Walmart probably feels that he doesn't have time to be interesting—he's too busy working! Everybody's life has interest, and every essay topic can be made compelling by looking at how that topic affects the human condition and how you fit into that human condition.

Congratulate Yourself

The essay is by far the most difficult part of the application. You have overcome the biggest obstacle to applying for a scholarship.

vha08

Support
Statement of Purpose - Gia Bao

January 26th, 2011

Dear Sir/ Madam;

I’m Nguyen Ngoc Gia Bao, 2nd year student, Bachelor of Dental Technology, Department of Odonto – Stomatology at Trường Đại Học Y Dược Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam. I appreciate that The International Admissions Council have give me another chance to state my intention of purpose for pursuing a Bachelor of Nursing program in the University of Stavanger.

When I was young, I had to face with an asthma disease. Therefore, I got used to visiting a hospital very often, about once per 2 or 3 months. Fortunately, at about the age of 14, my health was better and when I was 16, I was completely cured from asthma. However, during the time I stayed at the hospital, from my observation, I became conscious of the fact that asides from doctors who took the primary role in curing people's ailments, there were nurses who took care of patients while they were in hospital, nurses could help them overcome the pain, and did many more meaningful activities like that. At that time, I always dreamed that I could be a medical staff in the future, so that I could serve patient’s need while attending to medical treatment. And I realized my passion for nursing.

It is certainly true to say that my mother is the one who had the most influence on me. She is a midwife nurse in a hospital at Ho Chi Minh City. When I looked her caring for the pregnant and saw her happy smile when a newborn child was successfully delivered, I believed that nursing represent for a kind of art. Nurses can make a difference in patients’ life by helping them recover from their sickness. Thus, I tried my best in the high school to be able to pass the entrance exam to Trường Đại học Y Dược Hồ Chí Minh, one of the most highly-ranked universities of medical science in Vietnam.

As a second-year student in Trường Đại học Y Dược Hồ Chí Minh, I studied a lot of basic knowledge about medical science. Although my major is dental technology, I haven’t studied any major subjects yet. I will study it in the next year, after 2 compulsory years studying the basic scientific disciplines. During that first two years, I was able to learn many valuable things about basic science subjects, such as advanced Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, general Biology, Psychology, especially, Anatomy - my most favorite field and so on. I knew how to give trust, sympathy and care to patients too. In addition, doing volunteer work “Mùa hè xanh” (Green Summer campaign) in the last summer gave me opportunities to practice, gather experiences in youth skills about the first aid, how to use some simple medicine, etc and after that I had the responsibility to teach them again to orphans who was at Peony Flower Orphanage.

None could deny the fact that Norway has one of the highest standards of general Education and Health system in the world, especially the Health system. Therefore, this will be my honor to have chance to continue my academic study program as a Bachelor of Nursing in the University of Stavanger. I will be a diligent student, yet remain humble, as well as always being focused and on track. With the knowledge I will achieve at your University, I promise that I will be a capable, compassionate and caring nurse who would support all those that was hurt to cope with their suffering.

Thank you, in advance, for your time. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely yours;
Written by: NGB - Edited by - vha08

Accepted

vha08

Support
Walking on the path - Nguyet

Review/edit first draft

Walking on the path from the bus stop to home, I came to the conclusion that I was so sick with all that happening in my life. I was bored with this path, never finding any interesting things about it. It also forced me to take a very long distance until my legs were weary after walking constantly for 30 minutes. [Awkward] Oh, then the repeated annoying sounds from the remnants market never gave my poor ears some rest. Day after day, I used to step as hastily as possible to go home, screaming in my mind: “Please, let [leave] me alone. All is annoyances, isn’t it?”[Awkward]

The splashes of bright smile
The fervent glint in the eyes
Dissolving in exploded laughter
The little children
They scuttled along
Running after them, I catch them
And burst into laughter…
It has been 2 years from the first time I came there, a small school for disabled children in Ha Dong town. And Phan Anh, my favorite, would drag me into the school-yard with my hand and then ask me to carry him on my back, walking around the small school at least ten rounds a day. We never got tired of it. It was a game. He would embrace my neck, pointing his little finger to the frail sunlight penetrating through the leaf canopies: “Oh, There are flowers of light. Do you see it?” he giggled. Raising his hand to catch the magic argent sunshine, he smiled. I always burst out laughing when hearing him chatter incessantly about his creative inventions. “This is a tree friend,” he said. I put my ears close to the rough tree-trunk, hearing the soothing music of rising wind, feeling the strong flow of sap nourishing the tree. And I smiled.

Time still elapsed, silently and peacefully. One day, when stepping into this small school, I didn’t see Phan Anh run into my arms, embracing my neck as usual. “Where is Phan Anh?” I asked a baby sitter. “His disease was recrudesced. He was moved to the special-care room over there. I don’t know whether he could overcome this time. I’m so sorry,” she said. A limbering [there is a loosening sensation in your throat? And it choked on your throat? So...is this sensation eating your throat? Be more specific and accurate.] sensation constantly surged up, choked on my throat. My mind went blank. My knee flopped onto the ground.” No, it’s not true. No!” I screamed. Standing up immediately, I just run as hastily as I could to go to the special-cared room. I went through between two rows of beds – on which lay disabled children in their life-threatening conditions. Clutching his hand firmly, I asked: “Are you hurt?” He shook his head, laughing softly and asking me to sing. Looking at the imploring eyes, the gaunt shoulder sometimes trembling with panic; I couldn’t conceal my cheeks which were wet with tears. Still clutching his hand like this, I sang his favorite song.
Dad would be the wings
To bring you upon those stars
And the clouds are far behind you
He lifts you high
To touch the blue sky
All day long.
Like reminiscing the familiar melody, he pulled my cheek closer to him while muttering the lyrics of the song. There seemed to be an unexpected thing stuck in my throat, strangling my tender heart. Everything became blurred. My eyes were stung. Tears burst out uncontrollably. But I still sang for him like that for hours, without pause. And after this moment, once a week; whatever happened, I would be there to sing for him, protecting him from the torment panics, conveying to him my faith, my cherishing love. I would still carry him on my back, wandering around this small school. I would point out to him the miraculous flowers of light, the strong flow of sap penetrating perpetually in that tree-trunk friend. And he would be alive.

Right now, when wandering in a familiar path from the bus stop to home after visiting him, I let my mind roams with some thoughts about Phan Anh, his life and my life. Actually, my life is like this path – which is very long and whether I want to or not I still have to keep moving forward. Stepping up on this road, I see it covered with fall rustling leaves, the feeble light from streetlamps softened in tranquil remnants market sounds. I see an old man standing on the other side of the road. Almost people just go through and don’t mind what he is doing. But I do. I observe him pursing his lips, knitting brows to gather up all energy to pump air into a bicycle’s tire. Wiping beads of sweat in his forehead, he smiles. I suddenly realize that circumstances are just a small part; the most important thing is my perspective on them. If I put everything on the supercilious eyes, I won’t understand. If I see this path and it is long and noisy with the incessant sounds from people in the market; I would never see the fall of rustling leaves, the tranquil fragile light from streetlamps fading out the sounds of the sunset – which seems to linger at the reddish horizon. And I want to smile with everything, each moment I am lucky to experience. From the bottom of my heart, I will catch them; the beauty of sunlight flowers, the hidden strength of the gum flow silently bringing up the whole tree or the wrinkled smile of an old man toiling away a living day after day. Everything happens in my life. I will hold it because it’s life and it deserves to be revered.

And each moment, each second, each minute, I won’t let them elapse meaninglessly. I will unhesitatingly raise my hand to catch my moments like the way Phan Anh caught the miraculous argent light of sunshine, the way he pulled my cheeks closer to him and muttered the lyrics of the song. I smile: “Actually, everything is there, in this path. Nothing changes except for my perspective on it.”

Conventions and grammar: Some grammar errors, some I fixed and others I left alone. Remember to proofread more meticulously. There are also a number of awkward sentences that you should rephrase to make them sound natural to a native English speaker. Awkward sentences are in green. The events that happen in this essay seem to be past tense, yet you use present tense on many occasions. I know that as you write you are replaying the scene in your mind so that, to you, it is 'happening' – but not in reality. Be sure that everything that should be in past tense is in past tense.

Content: I don't see any glaring issues and your topic is very touching. It is really just your word choice and sentence structure that needs work.
Written by: Thu Nguyệt - Edited by: vha08 first draft

vha08

Support
Walking on the Path - Thu Nguyệt - 3rd & final draft

Walking on the path from the bus stop to home, I came to the conclusion that I was so sick with all that happening in my life. I was bored with this path, never finding any interesting things about it. It also forced me to take a very long distance until my legs were weary after walking constantly for 30 minutes. Oh, then the repeated annoying sounds from the remnants market never gave my poor ears some rest. Day after day, I used to step as hastily as possible to go home, screaming in my mind: “Please, let me alone. All is annoyances, isn’t it?”

The splashes of bright smile
The fervent glint in the eyes
Dissolving in exploded laughter
The little children
They scuttled along
Running after them, I catch them
And burst into laughter…
It has been 2 years from the first time I came there, a small school for disabled children in Ha Dong town. And Phan Anh, my favorite, would drag me into the school-yard with my hand and then ask me to carry him on my back, walking around the small school at least ten rounds a day. We never got tired of it. It was a game. He would embrace my neck, pointing his little finger to the frail sunlight penetrating through the leaf canopies: “Oh, There are flowers of light. Do you see it?” he giggled. Raising his hand to catch the magic argent sunshine, he smiled. I always burst out laughing when hearing him chatter incessantly about his creative inventions. “This is a tree friend” he said. I put my ears close to the rough tree-trunk, hearing the soothing music of rising wind, feeling the strong flow of sap nourishing the tree. And I smiled.

Time still elapsed, silently and peacefully. One day, when stepping into this small school, I didn’t see Phan Anh run into my arms, embracing my neck as usual. “Where is Phan Anh?” I asked a baby sitter. “His disease was recrudesced. He was moved to the special-cared room over there. I don’t know whether he could overcome this time. I’m so sorry” she said. A limbering sensation constantly surged up, choked on my throat. My mind went blank. My knee flopped into the ground.” No, it’s not true. No!” I screamed. Standing up immediately, I just run as hastily as I could to go to the special-cared room. I went through between two rows of beds – on which lay disabled children in their life-threatening condition. Clutching his hand firmly, I asked: “Are you hurt?” He shook his head, laughing softly and asking me to sing. Looking at the imploring eyes, the gaunt shoulder sometimes trembling with panic; I couldn’t conceal my cheeks which were wet with tears. Still clutching his hand like this, I sang his favorite song.
Dad would be the wings
To bring you upon those stars
And the clouds are far behind you
He lifts you high
To touch the blue sky
All day long.
Like reminiscing the familiar melody, he pulled my cheek closer to him while muttering the lyrics of the song. There seemed to be an unexpected thing stuck in my throat, strangling my tender heart. Everything became blurred. My eyes were stung. Tears burst out, uncontrollably. But I still sang for him like that for hours, without even disrupting it. And after this moment, once a week; whatever happened, I would be here to sing for him, protecting him from the torment panics, conveying to him my faith, my cherishing love. I would still carry him on my back, wandering around this small school. I would point to him the miraculous flowers of light, the strong flow of sap penetrating perpetually in that tree-trunk friend. And he would be alive.
Right now, when wandering in a familiar path from the bus stop to home after visiting him, I let my mind roams with some thoughts about Phan Anh, his life and my life. Actually, my life is like this path – which is very long and whether I want or not I still have to keep moving forward. Stepping up on this road, I see it covered with fall rustling leaves, the feeble light from streetlamps softened in tranquil remnants market sounds. I see an old man standing on the other side of the road. Almost people just go through and don’t mind what he is doing. But I do. I observe him pursing his lips, knitting brows to gather up all energy to pump air into a bicycle’s tire. Wiping beads of sweat in his forehead, he smiles. I suddenly realize that circumstances are just a small part; the most important thing is my perspective on them. If I put everything on the supercilious eyes, I won’t understand. If I see this path and it is long and noisy with the incessant sounds from people in the market; I never see the fall rustling leaves, the tranquil fragile light from streetlamps fading out the sounds of the sunset – which seems to linger at the reddish horizon. And I want to smile with everything, each moment I am lucky to experience. From the bottom of my heart, I will catch them; the beauty of sunlight flowers, the hidden strength of the gum flow silently bringing up the whole tree or the wrinkled smile of an old man toiling away for living day after day. Everything happens in my life. I will hold it because it’s life and it deserves to be revere.

And each moment, each second, each minute; I won’t let them elapse meaninglessly. I will unhesitatingly raise my hand to catch my moments like the way Phan Anh catch the miraculous argent light of sunshine, the way he pulled my cheeks closer to him and muttered the lyrics of the song. I smile: “Actually, everything is there, in this path. Nothing changes except for my perspective on it”

Written by: Thu Nguyệt - Edited by: vha08 - 3rd & final draft

vha08

Support
My Blue Bracelet - PNL

My Blue Bracelet
I have a weird habit. Whenever I look up at the sky, I also raise my left hand and compare the color of my blue five-star bracelet to the shade of the sky. If they match, then I would shout out cheerfully: “Wow so it’s another nice day!”

That weird habit has an equally weird origin. One autumn day, on a whim, I decided to change myself – just a whimsical idea of changing without any clear object. After my 18th birthday, I realized that I intensely hate almost every kind of “containers”: from the stuffy closed room where windows were kept shut of my father, to my ordinary image of a decorous, or a demure girl – whatsoever, I do not like it at all. That is why, perfectly on a whim, I wanted to change, firstly by changing my bracelet from the old rubber ones to a single lovely blue five-star buddy with two small beads.

I always fancy blue – of my watercolors it runs out the fastest – and I guess that’s why I was so drawn to my blue friend. But it also impressed me the first time we met as some eye-catching caprice: one of the beads is light verdant in the group of blue-blue guys; and one of the stars has a quite different symbol, too. I always wonder if the maker had made a mistake, or it is intentional so that it caught girls’ curious eyes.

Ironically, I do not like girlish accessories. To me, only a light and convenient bracelet is acceptable: it does not feel too strictly attached like rings, nor invisible to my own eyes like necklaces. It’s visible when I played guitar for my wretched friend; it’s there for the orphanages to toy when I read them the story of Pippi Longstocking. It’s always there to remind me of something.

It’s also there when I entered the closed room of my father. Its color darkened in the place where sunlight hardly ever penetrated, when my father raised his voice:
- Have you had enough time in your gap year to make up your mind, or would you still go for your stupid choice of environmental sciences? I would not allow you this. You know, it’s brutal, and will earn you no penny less.

He continued like ten minutes about how much danger environmentalists encounter in general, and the burden woman scientists have to carry specifically also. Girls, in his opinion, should follow easier paths, like learning economics then getting a well-paid job. “It should be a piece of cake with your abilities” – he added.

Oh, have you ever heard about how Asian parents’ advices fatally affect their children’ choices of lovers, careers and lives? The phrase “Family is what grounds you.”, as Angelina Jolie once said, is some strangely suitable demonstration for the tight family bonds in this feudal system deeply engraved continent. I understand this well – I am purely a Vietnamese kid. That might be why I felt my bracelet both tingled to my skin and looser than ever, to the point that it might well fall off to the floor and crash.

My blue buddy began to give off imaginary heat, contradictorily to its color’ traditional indication, as I got up walked around the room. I could hardly remember what I had said: about how our country is in need of environmental solutions, about what determines if it is a burden or not is merely your way of thinking; moreover, about how I hate working myself to death in fields I have no passion. I avoided mentioning how his ideas of environmental scientists are very subjected to changing in our developing country – I love changes, he hates them. All I can recall are my father’s changing face, and the vast blue sky outside the windows I unconsciously opened. And also, his words: “See how long you can survive.”.

Absolutely on a whim, I reached up my left hand through one of the widely opened windows. The stars in my bracelet twinkled under the sunshine of late autumn, and their color matched the azure shade of the sky perfectly. Somehow, I could feel a sweet fragrance of wild flowers in the air, as if I had been in the juvenile forest we visited two years ago, where I fell deeply in love with the wondrous nature. I laughed heartily: “Well, it’s nice today.”.

And that’s how it all begins.

There have been cloudy and stormy days beside the nice ones. Still, whenever I look at my blue five-star bracelet, I have a strange feeling, as if I am keeping a piece of the sunny blue sky by my side.

Looking at the overjoyed me in the another-nice-day mode, one of my friend asked if that bracelet was some kind of charm. No, I said, that would be the last thing in the world it would become, considering the amount of stress I have been enduring since I tied it tightly onto my left hand.

- And you still choose to wear it? It must be special.
- You could say so – I giggled.
- Why?
- Well... Let’s call it my blue badge of courage. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
My Blue Bracelet
I have a weird habit. Whenever I look up at the sky, I also raise my left hand and compare the color of my blue five-star bracelet to the shade of the sky. If they match, then I would shout out cheerfully: “Wow! So it’s another nice day!”

That weird habit has an equally weird origin. One autumn day, on a whim, I decided to change myself – just a whimsical idea of changing without any clear object. After my 18th birthday, I realized that I intensely hate almost every [any] kind of “container” [quotations use in this way are obnoxious/annoying; is used more to show sarcasm]: from the stuffy closed room where windows were kept shut of my father[what?], to my ordinary image of a decorous [? flashy?], or a demure girl – whatsoever, I do not like it at all. That is why, perfectly on a whim, I wanted to change, firstly by changing my bracelet from the old rubber ones to a single lovely blue five-star buddy with two small beads.[...What? If it's a whim, why does it need a reason? What does changing bracelets have to do with being contained? What symbolic meaning does this have?]

I always fancy blue – of my watercolors it runs out the fastest – and I guess that’s why I was so drawn to my blue friend. But it also impressed me the first time we met as some eye-catching caprice: one of the beads is light verdant in the group of blue-blue guys; and one of the stars has a quite different symbol [show me, don't tell me – don't just say it's a different symbol and expect me to be able to visualize it. SHOW me with description], too. I always wonder if the maker had made a mistake, or it is intentional so that it caught girls’ curious eyes.

Ironically, I do not like girlish accessories [You're starting to go all over the place. Focus on your blue bracelet.]To me, only a light and convenient bracelet is acceptable: it does not feel too strictly attached like rings, nor invisible to my own eyes like necklaces. It’s visible when I played guitar for my wretched [Wretched? Why?]friend; it’s there for the orphanages to toy with when I read them the story of Pippi Longstocking. It’s always there to remind me of something [Of what?! I still don't get the symbolic meaning].

It’s also there when I entered the closed room of my father [FOCUS. You're being just as whimsical in your story telling!]. Its color darkened in the place where sunlight hardly ever penetrated, when my father raised his voice:

- Have you had enough time in your gap year to make up your mind, or would you still go for your stupid choice of environmental sciences? I would not allow you this. You know it’s brutal, and will earn you no penny less.

He continued like [for] ten minutes about how much danger environmentalists encounter in general, and the burden woman scientists have to carry specifically also. Girls, in his opinion, should follow easier paths, like learning economics then getting a well-paid job. “It should be a piece of cake with your abilities,” he added.

Oh, have you ever heard about how Asian parents’ advices fatally affect their children’ choices of lovers, careers and lives? The phrase “Family is what grounds you.”, as Angelina Jolie once said, is some strangely[WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE ODD OR STRANGE WITH YOU? There is some norm you are dancing around and I feel left out] suitable demonstration for the tight family bonds in this feudal system deeply engraved continent. I understand this well – I am purely a Vietnamese kid. That might be why I felt my bracelet both tingled to my skin and looser than ever, to the point that it might well fall off to the floor and crash.

My blue buddy began to give off imaginary heat, contradictorily to its color’ traditional indication, as I got up walked around the room. I could hardly remember what I had said: about how our country is in need of environmental solutions, about what determines if it is a burden or not is merely your way of thinking; moreover, about how I hate working myself to death in fields I have no passion. I avoided mentioning how his ideas of environmental scientists are very subjected to changing in our developing country – I love changes, he hates them. All I can recall are my father’s changing face, and the vast blue sky outside the windows I unconsciously opened. And also, his words: “See how long you can survive.”.

Absolutely on a whim[More whimsy?], I reached up my left hand through one of the widely opened windows. The stars in my bracelet twinkled under the sunshine of late autumn, and their color matched the azure shade of the sky perfectly. Somehow, I could feel a sweet fragrance of wild flowers in the air, as if I had been in the juvenile forest we visited two years ago, where I fell deeply in love with the wondrous nature. I laughed heartily: “Well, it’s nice today.”

And that’s how it all begins.

There have been cloudy and stormy days beside the nice ones. Still, whenever I look at my blue five-star bracelet, I have a strange feeling, as if I am keeping a piece of the sunny blue sky by my side.

Looking at the overjoyed me in the another-nice-day mode, one of my friends asked if that bracelet was some kind of charm. No, I said, that would be the last thing in the world it would become, considering the amount of stress [WHAT STRESS?] I have been enduring since I tied it tightly onto my left hand.

- And you still choose to wear it? It must be special.
- You could say so – I giggled.
- Why?
- Well... Let’s call it my blue badge of courage. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
No focus in this essay at all. I'm not sure what you want to tell me as the reader. There is no significant change. Nothing seems to be resolved/concluded with your dad. Just as you like to use the phrase 'on a whim' there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how you wrote this. It's definitely like stream of consciousness in that you are trying to list as many ways your blue bracelet could mean something as possible. What is the point? Nothing is developed. Your statements at the beginning haven't changed much. In fact, when you repeat the action where you gauge the whether using your blue bracelet, it seems you've just caused the essay to go in a circle – essentially going nowhere.

What are you trying to say? To demonstrate? Change? Courage? Restrictions? Stagnant? The things you list have no connection and you are using your blue bracelet as a way to include some of your activities/accomplishments without trying to be too obvious about it. Or is it about your struggle to prove that environmental science is a viable career? This makes me question even more the purpose of this essay. Pick a quality. ONLY ONE. And stick with it. Then you can use that quality to weave in your career choice. Make sure you are focused throughout the whole essay and that you are writing DELIBERATELY.

Written by: PNL - Edited by: vha08

Asm

Giám đốc nhà máy pháo
Ðề: Admission Essay Peer Review

thank for your essay referent and comment . Otherwise some information's from you very helpful for our child and member of forum. Hope you will support and contributor for our forum in the future
Regards and cheer
warm welcome
ASM