Admission Essay

vui

Thành viên mới
Bác vha ơi, mong bác sửa bài essay trg Commonapp cho con. Sắp đến deadline rồi nên mong bác sửa nhanh giùm con ạ. Con thấy bài của con dài quá, 705 words lận mà lại ko hay. Bác có suggest con cut bớt đoạn nào ko ạ. Con cám ơn bác ạ.

Untitled essay

For as long as I can remember, I had been dreaming of the day that I could finish school and start to work. However, as I told my mom about my dream, she just smiled mysteriously and said: “My dear, everything is not what it looks like.”

I felt puzzled by my mom’s answer, but my dream was still standing firm in my heart. At least it was until two years ago when an event happened and gave me a whole new perspective of my dream.

The summer after middle school, my mom got me a job as a dental assistant at XXX Dental clinic, where she is also working. I had never expected of having an opportunity like this before. I thought that my dream has finally come true earlier than I thought.

However, as I started to work there, things turned out not to be like what I have expected. Just after a short time working there, I started to realize how the working life truly is. Right on the first day of work, I was reprimanded by my boss. This feeling is very different from when I was reproved by my teachers. I used to think that boss is like a type of teacher in work place, but I just realized how wrong I am. In school, teachers reprimanded me just because they want me to correct my mistakes and they just want the best for me. However, when I received reprimanded from my boss (which I did a lot during a couple of first weeks), then I know it is because I am messing up their business.

Despite being among the youngest employees there, I can still feel the tension between colleagues. I used to dislike the way that my classmates compete with each others in school. However, the rivalry in school between classmates is just nothing compared to that between co-workers. After all, kids in school compete against each other for grades or the affection from teachers, while co-workers are competing for a living.

Now I know what exactly my mom meant: When it comes to working, there is not just happiness and comfort, but also challenges and hardships. Stepping into the working atmosphere means stepping out of my comfort zone that I am used to and into a real world full of challenges.

For the first time in my life, I felt very disappointed as if something very beautiful has shattered. I told my mom about my feelings and that I just want to quit the job. However, she persuaded me to not give up. She wants to see how I, her little girl, deal with the challenges. I reluctantly continue to work.
Thanks to my mom, I did not quit the job that day. Had I given up that day, I would not have lost a very valuable experience. I come back to work at XXX Dental clinic for the next two summers and working there is now not just my summer job but also favorite activities. I realize once I get used to the working atmosphere, I am able to love it and enjoy it every day. But there is still one thing concern in me.

I have just faced my first job ever, and I am fortunate enough to have good one like that. In the future, I surely will have several more jobs. There is no doubt that more professional jobs in the future will come with more uncomfortable moments, more competition, more rebuke. What should I do to prepare to deal with that?

I surprisingly realize that the best way to prepare to enjoy my working life is to enjoy my school years. While it may sound quite paradoxical, it is indeed very practical. Working and schooling truly tight together. With a good education, I will make my working life more comfortable.

As I am reaching toward the end of my high school life and step into college life, I am lucky enough to having realized this soon so that I still have time to enjoy my high school life. I am looking forward to the next four years which I hope to use as the stepping-stone to a challenging life ahead.

À với bác cho con hỏi luôn là con có thể email profile và school list của con để bác góp ý dc ko ạ? Tại con ko muốn publicize profile của con lên diễn đàn ạ. Con cám ơn bác.

Ðề: Admission Essay

My First Job

I - Introduction

Tell the reader how you got your first job

II - Body paragraph

- Describe your duties
- Describe any problems which you encounter and how you seeking helps/ overcome/solve them
- How do you feel when you get your first paycheck

III - Conclusion

Summarize and finish your esay

Cháu có thắc mắc gì thì đăng ở đây (ngoại trừ thông tin cá nhân)

Chào xxx

Học bạ của cháu (5.5/6) tính ra GPA của Mỹ chỉ được 3.3 hay B+), các trường cháu chọn đều chắc chắn vào được, vấn đề là trường cho bao nhiêu tiền. Ở Mỹ, B+ thì không có nhiều financial aid của trường cho. Trình độ Anh văn của cháu rất khá, nếu so sánh với trăm ngàn học sinh khác. Khá ở đây là tôi muốn nói đến tư duy của cháu, vì cháu biết sử dụng vốn liếng tiếng Anh của mình để trình bày suy nghĩ và nhận xét về một vấn đề (Hay critical thinking) điều này rất nhiều học sinh chưa có. Vì vậy tôi thấy, cháu sẽ không bị trở ngại gì trong việc học ở Mỹ.

Viết một bài luận để được trường nhận vào học không có gì khó khăn, nhưng viết một bài luận vừa để trường nhận vào học và cho nhiều tiền nhất thì, học sinh phải trình bày ý tưởng và lập luận rõ ràng (điều này cháu đã làm được qua bài văn vừa rồi), và phải cho uỷ viên tuyển sinh và hội đồng cấp hổ trợ tài chính thấy được người học sinh này xứng đáng được trợ giúp tài chính. Không gì hay bằng những công tác xã hội hay thiện nguyện mà người học sinh đã tham gia. Chỉ cần viết về một công tác thôi, và qua câu chuyện cho trường thấy học sinh này có lòng từ thiện, không ngại đóng góp cho xã hội sau này. Tôi đã từng giúp và chứng kiến nhiều học sinh, tuy GPA = 3.3 - 3.5 nhưng được trường cho học bổng toàn phần, chỉ bằng bài luận , và nhiều học sinh viết rất hay và có GPA = 4.0/4.0 nhưng trường không nhận vào học, đừng nói tới chuyện cho tiền.

XXX hãy hướng dẫn cho cháu viết, sao cho trong câu chuyện nói lên được các cá tính này: Chịu khó - sẵn lòng giúp người khác - chịu học hỏi và sẵn sàng chia sẻ với người khác. Rất nhiều học sinh ở Mỹ nhận được học bổng toàn phần, và bài tiểu luận của họ chỉ nói về 1 công tác/sinh hoạt xã hội nào đó mà họ đã tham gia. (Những người cho học bổng họ nghĩ rằng:" Từ khi còn đi học mà học sinh này đã có đóng góp cho xã hội, thì sau này khi họ thành tài chắc chắn sẽ có nhiều đóng góp cho xã hội. Học sinh này xứng đáng nhận sự tài trợ của họ.

vha08
Tôi được may mắn tham dự nhiều buổi tiệc trao học bổng cho học sinh ở Mỹ, và được đọc những bài văn của những học sinh giành được học bổng. Có ít nhất là 3 người viết về việc làm đầu tiên của họ, hầu hết là viết về các công tác xã hội mà họ đã tham gia. Như vậy viết về "việc làm đâu tiên" có là cliché hay không, hãy để adcom & scholarship committee quyết định. Chuyện cháu cần phải làm là viết sao cho họ thấy được như tôi trình bày ở trên.

vui

Thành viên mới

Bác vha ơi, cháu viết lại 1 bài khác đây, mong bác sửa giúp cháu:

In the last two years, I had had a chance to contribute my small part into the preservation of the Vietnamese culture within the community by volunteering as a Vietnamese teacher for Vietnamese-American children. This activity has also helped me to explore the teaching profession, a career path that I had never thought of before.

It started when my family noticed that my 7-year-old cousin, who was born in Vietnam and came to the States at the age of two, cannot speak a word in Vietnamese. My uncle decided to enroll him in the Vietnamese classes that are held on Sundays in a local church. I, as his babysitter, came with him to school on Sunday.

Upon seeing me waiting outside of the classroom, the director told me that the program is in need of teacher assistants and he asked if I want to take that position. I accept the offer right away as I am always up for new challenges.

For the first couple of weeks, my duties include printing stuff for the teachers and grading the students’ assignments. One day, Mrs. Hoa, the teacher that I worked with, suggests that I start to participate in teaching. I hesitated a bit because I did not have any teaching experience before. Although I am quite good at working with children (I have been babysitting my brother since I was twelve), I know that teaching is totally different from babysitting. I am afraid that since I am so young and inexperienced, the kids might see me as a friend or a babysitter rather than a teacher. However, Mrs. Hoa assures me that she will help me.

I had observed that the majority of children do not want to come to Vietnamese classes, but rather their parents make them go. Vietnamese seem to be nothing more than a hard foreign language to them. Being a student myself, I understand that children cannot learn without motivation. Upon seeing these Vietnamese-American kids are totally unfamiliar with their parents’ language, I believe that I need to make them understand that Vietnamese is not just a foreign language but their mother’s language. I want them to understand that Vietnamese is still a part in their blood, thus Vietnamese language will come to them naturally. These children grew up pledging allegiance to the flag of the United States, go to school with American kids, and learn about American history. Perhaps the only thing that connects them to Vietnam is the language that their parents use to speak to them. I see an urgent need to preserve the language, as language is the most vivid indicator of the liveliness of a culture. Once the Vietnamese language is still being used, the Vietnamese culture is still alive

Therefore, I started to find ways to make the children motivate to learn Vietnamese. I want to the kids to think of me as a happy, playful teacher.
In addition to standard textbooks, which, in my opinion, lack a lot of pictures, I suggested the teacher to let the students read some Vietnamese comic books. Furthermore, as I love to sing, I also introduce the kids to some Vietnamese songs. Needless to say, the kids totally love it.

I have to be a strict teacher sometimes. I think by now I have learned how to learn the balance the “serious” and “fun” sides. I am not a very bad teacher after all. Indeed, I find pleasure in teaching children.

Teaching Vietnamese to children has gradually become my favorite activity. I always look forward to Sunday to work with the kids. I hope that I can contribute a small part to the preservation of the Vietnamese culture. Furthermore, it has also given me a chance to explore a new career path: teaching. Maybe in the future, I will be a teacher.

Cháu là học sinh bản xứ (Domestic student) hay học sinh quốc tế (International student). Theo câu chuyện trong 2 bài văn cháu viết, thì cháu là domestic applicant. Vậy cháu định xin học vào những trường nào.

Academic credential của cháu rất tốt, chỉ duy có 1 điều là family contribution của cháu ít nếu cháu dự định xin vào các trường national university như University of Washington UW.

Thời gian cháu không còn nhiều, tôi nói cháu viết lại bài essay và đã cho cháu phần outline, tại sao cháu không viết lại. Đây là essay topic của UW

Directions

Choose either A or B. Recommended length: 500-650 words

A. Discuss how your family’s experience or cultural history enriched you or presented you with opportunities or challenges in pursuing your educational goals.

OR

B. Tell us a story from your life, describing an experience that either demonstrates your character or helped to shape it.
http://admit.washington.edu/Admission/Freshmen/WritingSection

vui

Thành viên mới

Cháu đã viết lại rồi mà bác, bài về dạy tiếng Việt là cháu có follow theo outline của bác đó ạ, mong bác sửa giùm cháu bài đó để cháu làm bài personal statement trg common app luôn. Và bài này cháu cũng sẽ nộp cho UW luôn (option B). Cháu cám ơn bác

vui

Thành viên mới

Bác vha ơi, sao bác ko sừa giùm cháu vậy? Sắp đến deadline rồi ạ...

Cháu đã viết lại rồi mà bác, bài về dạy tiếng Việt là cháu có follow theo outline của bác đó ạ, mong bác sửa giùm cháu bài đó để cháu làm bài personal statement trg common app luôn. Và bài này cháu cũng sẽ nộp cho UW luôn (option B). Cháu cám ơn bác
My First Job

I - Introduction

Tell the reader how you got your first job

II - Body paragraph

- Describe your duties
- Describe any problems which you encounter and how you seeking helps/ overcome/solve them
- How do you feel when you get your first paycheck

III - Conclusion

Summarize and finish your essay
Rất nhiều học sinh Mỹ bắt đầu làm việc khi 16 tuổi, và công việc họ làm thường là ở trong nhà hàng hay thâu ngân ở các cửa hàng bán lẻ. Câu chuyện của cháu ở trong phòng mạch của nha sĩ, mà ở Mỹ muốn làm trong phòng nha, ngoại trừ receptionist, các công việc khác bắt buộc phải có license.

Tôi cho cháu cái outline về việc làm đầu tiên của cháu. Tại sao cháu không viết lại, mà lại chọn 1 đề tài khác. Chưa tới 16 tuổi mà cháu đã mong tới tuổi để đi làm, như vậy cháu đã chứng minh được cháu sẽ là " A productive person" sau này. Trong khi bài thứ 2 cháu nói về việc dạy tiếng Việt và duy trì tiếng Việt cho trẻ em Việt sinh ra và lớn lên ở Mỹ, và pre-screening admission committee thường là tụi sinh viên "Tây" học năm cuối, cháu thử nghĩ xem, tụi nó có care không, hay là cháu sẽ khiến cho tụi nó, có ấn tượng đầu tiên không tốt với cháu. Bài của cháu bị loại từ vòng đầu, thì đâu có tới tay Adcom đọc, như vậy cháu đâu có cơ hội.

Hãy viết những gì mà người Mỹ muốn nghe. Hiểu không?