Ideal Model Mother by PH

Topic A. (required)
Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

“Who is the person that impacts your life most?” [Starting with a question addressed to the reader sets up this sort of relationship: Comparing your person to the reader's person. It's not wrong, but it does shift the focus away from the point of the essay: you and your mother.] I [am] sure that you have ever heard this question once in your life. It can be neither easy nor hard for you to answer it, but for me, I always say: “My mom”.

My mom doesn’t affect me by the ideal model for my life, but she is really an ideal mom in my eyes. [What does 'ideal model for my life' mean? Why not? You should distinguish between the role model for a lifestyle and the role model for a mother.] Every moment in my life, she is always adjacent to me; from I went to nursery school to now. She joins every parents meeting of mine. In the summer, she takes me to travel, go to the beach, and watch children plays. She goes to bookstore with me, and chooses books for me. Not only that, she also teaches me how to live rightly, the way how do I stand up after each failure, [how to stand up after a failure] and never stop dreaming, pursuing the goal of my life. To bring this happy life for me, this is a great sacrifice of my mom.

My mom had a very hard life. She was born into a poor family with four siblings. When she was twelve, she had to stop her education because my grandparent couldn’t afford to pay for their children going to school. From then, her life became black. She spent her days delivering food, washing dishes, and cleaning up the floor; however, my mom did not accept that. She took classes at a center to achieve her high school diploma. Then she went to college and became a librarian at a junior high school in my hometown. To reach this achievement wasn’t easy for her. She had to pay for her education. Every day, she rode by bicycle five kilometers to go to school. After that, she helped my grandparents clean their small food store and prepare for the next selling day. Her day ended at eight o’clock. I knew my mom spent too much effort to get a peaceful life.

The story of my mom’s life is an enormous motivation for me. [You say that she is your ideal mother. Logically, your essay should then be about what you admire about her role as a mother. However, rather than discuss her life as mother, you discuss her life outside of this role. Now this implies there is something about her life as whole that you admire rather than what she does for you as a mother.
]
[One of the ways to solve this problem is to explain when YOU were born. It would make much more sense to be speaking of these events if while she was doing all of these things, she was also taking care of you.] It helps me try my best to overcome the failures or challenges in my life. A couple of times, I felt feeble and exhausted when facing the difficulties in life. That was the meantime when I wanted to give up all. But I thought about my mom; I imagined what she went through in her life, what she did for me, and I encouraged myself to continue going forward.

Since my birth until now, my hardest time is when I left Vietnam to come to America. It was so terrible in the first period. I remember my first day at Rider High School that is the awful day. I cried too much after school. I feel abandoned, isolated, and lonely. I missed my Dad and my friends in Vietnam. I told my mom: “I don’t like this school. I want to go back to Vietnam”. At that time, my mom hugged me and solaced me: “It’s just the first day, my dear. I know you can do that. You like studying abroad. Let stand up and go on.”

What my mom said awakened me. My only difficulty was learning English. I had to try to learn it so that I could communicate with everyone, and integrate the new life. I stared practicing English everyday, doing homework, reading, trying to listen and write essay. I did everything I could; I went quite long way with a bit success. I can hear and talk with everybody better now. My learning is stable. A surprised thing is [You are speaking of the past and so you should use past tense. Fixed, it should be: "A surprising thing WAS..."] I passed the TAKS test on my first try one month after I came America. It makes me feel more confident.
I truly appreciate my mom so much because of staying next to me when I neither succeed nor fail. [This is an example of ambiguity. The use of the 'neither....nor' combination is a case of: I did not [blank] and I did not [blank]. So in reading this sentence I think: You never succeed and you never fail. And that is a contradiction. So, the way to fix this is to say: "...I whether succeeded or failed" to state that your mother is supporting you REGARDLESS of your successes or failures.] My mom brings to me the incentive, the confidence, and the persistence so that I can deal with this thorny life firmly. I only say that I love you too much, Mom. But my sentiments I give you is greater than the word “love”.

I can clearly tell what ideas you are trying to convey. And what issues I had with it have been articulated in the notes. The main obstacle in this essay is natural flow and logical organization. Fix that, and you’ll be good to go.

There are several sentence constructions that are awkward, ie. do not flow naturally. There are also several instances of confused tense usage – ie. past, present and future mingling together in the same paragraph, sentence, etc. Being able to determine the difference between what sounds natural and what does not is a matter of reading it out loud. This skill is developed over time so, for you, the best way to make your essay sound natural is to find someone with whom you can read you essay out loud and have them tell you what sounds natural and what does not. This way, you can learn as you go along what sentence constructions flow naturally rather than awkwardly. Often, the longer a sentence is, the greater the danger that it will sound unnatural. If your sentences are getting unnecessarily long, stop, read it out loud to someone to check, before moving on.

Ðề: Ideal Model Mother by PH

Topic B: REQUIRED (saved)
Choose an issue of importance to you—the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope—and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Five o’clock in the evening, in front of the main door of the center for orphans of Ba Ria town. We guys brought gifts, cakes and especially, lanterns for the children here. That was the traditional visit of my school in the mid-autumn festival annually. We gifted for the kids, and my task was giving them the lanterns. Then, we played with them: singing, playing the traditional games of youth, and left at about seven.

The visits were brief but it brought me one question: “What is the future for these children?” The eyes of these kids haunted me every time, I never forgot the happiness when they received the lanterns from me. They lacked everything, from the physical to the mental. I know that in the developed countries such as America, England or Canada, the orphans can have enough the care from the social entirely. But in the developing countries, typically: Viet Nam or the poor African nations, these kids are easily abandoned. The government can’t afford to foster them fully, the children just get the places to live, foods and drinks, and a little education from the government. And the other, they expect the limited contribution of social. For the development of a child, these things are not satisfy, I assure that.

The orphans grow up in the bad circumstances, with damaged soul, no education, and no one gives them the right way to enter the life when they are mature, they are careless and callow. Consequently, they go easily to the criminal way and become rogues, robbers, bums, using drug and so on, and the social extols them. Do they choose this way for them? Of course, not. If you meet these orphans, taken their hands and played with them, you will feel that they are lovely kids but unlucky. So it’s not fair for the orphans.

The children are later generations of us. So neither children are full of parents nor orphans must have the enough care of entire social. We need to concern about the orphans. We should try to give them the real house, the education, the true sentiments to help them grow up healthy and happily. In addition, we try to make them forget their unfortunate that they are orphans, give them the confidence, both of knowledge and skills so that they can survive in the life, have a better life.

Furthermore, helping the orphans is not only reducing the social evils but also emerging the humanity. The orphans who don’t enter the criminal way will contribute back to society. They bring an enormous strength and intelligence to fund for the future of humans.

After all, the orphans are the issue that almost countries in the world have to face with. And the only solution for this issue is taking care of the orphans well so that they can help us build the society more beautifully. For me, since the first time I visited the orphans, I always try my best to help them when I can. Such as joining the activities that visit the orphans or donating my little money in my piggy bank with a hope that I can give a hand to help the society looks after the orphans.
PH, cháu sửa lại bài đầu tiên rồi đăng trên này cho mọi người góp ý. Bài thứ hai, chú sẽ sửa cho cháu cuối tuần này. Mấy ngày nay hơi bận công việc, chú ít đọc email.

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Chú ơi, bài này cháu viết lại, đã đưa cho engish teacher xem qua rồi, chú xem lại giùm cháu. Cháu cám ơn chú

Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

My mom may not be an ideal example for my life as far as occupation, education or success, but she is the person that impacts me the most.
My mom had a very arduous life. She was born in a poor family with four siblings. When she was twelve, she had to quit her education because my grandparents couldn’t afford to pay for their children to go to school. From then on, her life became black. She spent her days delivering food, washing dishes, and cleaning up the floor; however, my mom did not accept that as her future. She took classes at a center to achieve her high school diploma. Then she went to college and became a librarian at a junior high school in my hometown. To reach this achievement was not easy for her. She had to pay for her education by herself. Every day, she rode five kilometers by bicycle to go to school. After that, she helped my grandparents clean their small food store and prepare for the next selling day. Finally, her day ended at eight o’clock at night. My mom worked very hard to make a nice life for herself.
My mom’s life and my life from when I was born to now are two images that are completely contrary. I have a blissful and peaceful life. I seem to have enough everything, material as well as emotional. My only task is studying. I don’t have to do anything in my family. Sometimes, I do housework and take care of my younger brother but it is not heavy. I have computer, cell phone, and bicycle. In the summer, my mom takes me to travel, go to the beach, and watch children’s theater. She goes to bookstore with me and helps choose books for me. Every moment of my life, she always stands by me.
Comparing my life with what my mom has gone through in her lifetime, I know my mom is very bravery. She escaped her difficult life to give me a beautiful one. This was a great effort of my mom. She never stopped moving forward; she faced down the difficulties and then she defeated them. I learned from her a strong wise, indomitableness, persistence and courage. And I had chance to exhibit what I learned to her when my family left Vietnam to come to America without my dad.
I remember my first day at Rider High School. First period was terrible. I cried so much after school, and I felt abandoned, isolated, and lonely. I missed my dad and my friends in Vietnam. I really wanted to give up. However, when I went home, I saw my mom, and I remember what she had spent and what she did for me, I calmed down and moved on. My only exertion was learning English. I had to try to learn it so that I could communicate with everyone and become assimilated into my new life. I stared practicing English everyday, doing homework, reading, trying to listen and write essays. I did everything I could; I went quite a long way with a bit of success. I could understand and talk with everybody better. My learning was stable. A surprising thing happened that I passed the Taks test on my first try one month after I came to America, and that made me feel more confident.
I truly appreciate my mom very much because she stayed next to me whether I succeeded or failed. My mom brings to me the incentive, the confidence, and the persistence I need so that I can deal with this new life. I can only say that I love you very much, Mom. But the sentiments I give you are greater than the word “love”.

My mom had a very arduous life. She was born in a poor family with four siblings. When she was twelve, she had to quit school because my grandparents couldn’t afford the tuition. From then on, her life became black. She spent her days delivering food, washing dishes, and cleaning up the floor. However, my mom did not accept this life. She took classes at a center to achieve her high school diploma. Then she went to college and became a librarian at a junior high school in my hometown. To reach this achievement was not easy. She had to pay for her education by herself. Every day, she rode five kilometers by bicycle to go to school. After, she helped my grandparents clean their small food store and prepare for the next day. Finally, her day ended at eight o’clock at night.

The lives my mother and I led are complete contrasts. I have a blissful life, lacking in neither material nor emotional wealth. My only task is studying. Sometimes, I do housework and take care of my younger brother but it is not heavy. I have a computer, a cell phone, and a bicycle. In the summer, my mom takes me to the beach, and to watch children’s theater. She goes to the bookstore with me and helps choose books for me. Every moment of my life, she always stands by me.

Comparing my life with what my mom has gone through in her lifetime, I know my mom is very brave. She escaped her difficult life to give me a beautiful one. She never stopped moving forward; she faced the difficulties and then she defeated them. I learned strength, persistence, courage, wisdom and obtained an indomitable spirit from her. And I had a chance to exhibit what I learned to her when my family left Vietnam to come to America without my dad.

I remember my first day at Rider High School: first period was terrible. I cried so much after school. I felt abandoned, isolated, and lonely. I missed my dad and my friends in Vietnam. I really wanted to give up. However, upon seeing my mom when I went home, I was reminded of her sacrifices and resolved to be strong. My only obstacle was learning English. I had to try to learn it so I could communicate with everyone and become assimilated into my new life. I started practicing English everyday doing homework, reading, trying to listen and write essays. My abilities noticeably improved. I could understand and talk with everybody better. Surprisingly, I passed the TAKS test on my first try one month after I came to America, and this increased my confidence.

I truly appreciate my mom very much because she stayed next to me whether I succeeded or failed. My mom brings me the incentive, the confidence, and the persistence I need so I can deal with this new life. The sentiments I feel towards my mother is far beyond love.

Xong rồi đó cháu (500 từ)

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

cháu cám ơn chú nhiều, cháu sẽ tiếp tục sửa bài thứ 2 l001l001l001

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Đây là bài thứ 2, chú review dùm cháu

Topic B: REQUIRED (saved)
Choose an issue of importance to you—the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope—and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

It was five o’clock in the evening, in front of the main door of the center for orphans of Ba Ria town. We students brought gifts, cakes and especially, lanterns for the children here. This was my school’s tradition during the mid-autumn festival. We gifted for the kids, and my task was giving them the lanterns. Then, we played with them: singing and playing the children’s game.
The visits were brief but each brought me one question: “What is the future for these children?” The eyes of these kids haunted me every time. I never forgot their happiness when they received the lanterns from me. They lacked everything, from the physical to the mental. I know that in developed countries such as America, England or Canada, the orphans can have enough the care from the government entirely. But in the developing countries, typically Viet Nam or the poor African nations, these kids are easily abandoned. The government can’t afford to foster them fully; the children only receive a place to live, foods and drinks, and a little education. They expect the limited contribution from the government. For the development of a child, these things are not enough.
The orphans grow up in the poor circumstances, with damaged souls, no education, and no one to teach them the right way. Consequently, many become rogues, robbers, bums, drug users. Do they choose this way for them? Of course, not. If you have met these orphans, taken their hands and played with them, you see that they are lovely kids, but unlucky.
We need to be concerned about orphans. We should try to give them a real home, education and the true sentiments to help them grow up healthy and happily. In addition, we may try to make them forget unfortunate circumstances that they are orphans and give them confidence, both of knowledge and skills so that they can survive in the life and have a better life.
Furthermore, helping the orphans will not only reduce social evils but also enhance humanity. The orphans who don’t enter the criminal way will contribute back to society. They bring an enormous strength and intelligence to fund the future of mankind.
After all, orphans are an issue that almost all countries in the world face. The only solution for this issue is taking care of the orphans well so that they can help us build our society more beautifully. For me, since the first time I visited the orphans, I have always tried my best to help them when I can. I have joined in organization that visit the orphans or donated my little money in my piggy bank with a hope that I can give a hand to help the society look after the orphans. They are our future.

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Chú ơi, cháu viết lại bài topic B và viết thêm bài topic C, chú review giùm cháu, cháu cám ơn chú ạ

Topic B. (required)
Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.
At the age of forty, my mom led me and my brother to leave Vietnam, where she spent our lives from being born to now. My mom started the life of new immigrants in America. Although there were many challenges and difficulties, we never stopped hoping for a brighter new life, the hope that was in mind of thousands of immigrants coming to America each year.
For my mom, immigrating to America changed not only where we live but also the custom, culture and lifestyle. And the big issue was what my mom would do to survive and to build her new life in America. The life of immigrants associated with my family since we set foot in America.
Applying for a job was the first thing that my mom did after we had come America two weeks. A job was really essential. She needed money to support for her children. And then my mom became a worker at a factory. This job was in contrasts the job of my mom in Vietnam, a librarian in a junior high school. It was harder than the old job of her too much. She had to work from four o’clock p.m to two o’clock a.m every day. But she decided to immgrate to America, she must overcome all the challenges.
Having a job was just the first step, my mom tried to get a driving license and to know how to drive a car. If my mom wanted to survive in America, this were an indispensable. It was a trouble for my mom, she only knew how to use a bicycle and motorcycle. Car was an important means of transportation for whom wanting to live in America. Finally, my mom got a driving license and bought a used car for going to work and moving around the city. I belived that both job and driving license were two things that were necessary for people who wanted to build lives in America.
Acommodation is an important issue, buying a house or renting an apartment ? My mom thinks about this matter too much. She decides to rent an apartment and she will buy a house after I finish my studying at college.
An obstacle that she always faces in the daily life in America is the languge. English is not easy to learn, especially at the age of my mom, forty years old. However, communicating with the community where she lives is very vital, she has to learn English everyday.
For immigrants who are at the age of forty or older, I know this is really strenuous to begin a new life. They decide to immigrate to America, it means they have to give up all things that they build almost twenty years in their countries and start over. They leave their houses, their jobs, the relationships that they spend too much time to build them. But they think about the life of them, of their children in the future, they know they should come to America to get a better life
và đây là bài C
Topic C: optional (unsaved)
There may be personal information that you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.
When I was seventeen, I came to America to make my dream of becoming an aerospace engineer. I knew that I would have to fight with many difficulties and defeat them. But I was not dispirited, I always kept going on.
After the last two months of junior year in America, I had gradually adapted the study in America. I felt I was ready for the senior year. I never forgot what my counselor told me at the beginning of the school year, “It is hard for you to go to UT or Texas A&M, unless you are in the top ten”. I realized that I could not be in top ten. However, I would try to get the best GPA that I could, and I also tried on SAT as well as participated in extracurricular activities. These things might be simple for some people, but for me, a daughter of a new migrant family, this was a hard and difficult way.
To finish my way, that meant I had to learn more, more and more that I can. So everyday, excepting my learning at school, I tried to practice with the SAT too much. At school, I didn’t eat lunch and take time to finish my homework, so I could have more time to review SAT at home. In addition, I participated in the extracurricular activities and community involvement after school and at weekend.
However, everything was not smooth for me. I had to face with the difficulties coming from my family. Without my dad, it was arduous for my mom to work so as to support for my brother and me. I wanted to share my mother’s struggles. I helped her take care of my six-year-old brother, teach him and do some housework. At first, everything seemed to be accessible, but it is not. My brother didn’t know any English and I took too much time to teach him. Besides this, a couple of months after my family came America, we found out that my brother have the symptom of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. He had to take the medicine. Because of taking care of my brother, I almost had not time for joining the extracurricular activities at school too much and for my studying. Everyday, I needed to be home at three p.m because my mom worked at three thirty p.m.
I always encouraged myself: “Don’t give up. Try my best. I can do that”. And I constantly tried for my dream of becoming an aerospace engineer. Everyday, after my brother went to bed, I started learning from ten to twelve. I knew this was not a good way but I did due to finishing my dream. And I got some little successes. My got straight As for my first semester and my English teacher suggested that she would write for me a recommended letter. Although my SAT was not good enough on reading and writing, but this was only the first try of mine. I would try for the next time.

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Chú vha08 review esssay giùm cháu ạh. Cháu cám ơn chú, cháu chúc chú và gia đình giáng sinh an lành ạ

There may be personal information that you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.

At the age of seventeen, I and my family immigrate to America to start a new life while my father stayed to finish undone family’s business. I know that there will be a lot of new things and struggles awaited. I would have to work hard to overcome many difficulties in the new country I will call home. But I was not dispirited, I always kept going on.

After the last two months of junior year in American high school, I had gradually adapted the study in America. I felt I was ready for the senior year. I never forgot what my counselor told me at the beginning of the school year, “It is hard for you to go to UT or Texas A&M, unless you are in the top ten”. To finish my way, that meant I had to study harder.

However, everything was not smooth for me. I had to face with the difficulties coming from my family. Without my dad, it was arduous for my mom to work so as to support me and my brother. I wanted to share my mother’s struggles. I helped her take care of my six-year-old brother, teach him and do some housework. At first, everything seemed to be manageable, but it is not. My brother didn’t know any English and It took too much of my time to teach him. Besides this, a couple of months after my family came America, we found out that my brother have the symptom of Attention-deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Everyday, I needed to be home right after school to babysit my brother, so my mother could go to work on time. Taking care of my brother was and still is a full time job and extremely hard for a little girl like me. He is constantly yelling, and crying, and angering. I could not leave him alone for a short moment to do my chores. Everyday, after my brother went to bed at ten, then I could have the time to do my home works. Sometimes, the urge of crying is overwhelming.

I always encouraged myself: Don’t give up, you can do it. Just remember you want to be an aerospace engineer. With all the hardship at home, and struggles at school, I managed to get a straight A’s in first semester and my English teacher suggested that she would write a recommended letter for me to apply for college later and advise me to take SAT. Although my SAT scores was not good enough on reading and writing but this was only my first try, I am sure it’s will be better next time.

People have a choice. Some people choose to be happy, while others start their day with a whining or a complaint. Wake up every morning, my day fills with joys and sunny outlook. I might not have any talent nor I am the smartest person, but any which places I go, my sun shine will always be with me.
Italicize means talking to yourself
Don’t give up, you can do it. Just remember you want to be an aerospace engineer

Done

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Cháu cám ơn chú, chú review luôn giùm cháu bài topic B ạh :1:
Topic B. (required)
Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

At the age of forty, my mom led me and my brother to leave Vietnam, where she spent our lives from being born to now. My mom started the life of new immigrants in America. Although there were many challenges and difficulties, we never stopped hoping for a brighter new life, the hope that was in mind of thousands of immigrants coming to America each year.
For my mom, immigrating to America changed not only where we live but also the custom, culture and lifestyle. And the big issue was what my mom would do to survive and to build her new life in America. The life of immigrants associated with my family since we set foot in America.
Applying for a job was the first thing that my mom did after we had come America two weeks. A job was really essential. She needed money to support for her children. And then my mom became a worker at a factory. This job was in contrasts the job of my mom in Vietnam, a librarian in a junior high school. It was harder than the old job of her too much. She had to work from four o’clock p.m to two o’clock a.m every day. But she decided to immgrate to America, she must overcome all the challenges.
Having a job was just the first step, my mom tried to get a driving license and to know how to drive a car. If my mom wanted to survive in America, this were an indispensable. It was a trouble for my mom, she only knew how to use a bicycle and motorcycle. Car was an important means of transportation for whom wanting to live in America. Finally, my mom got a driving license and bought a used car for going to work and moving around the city. I belived that both job and driving license were two things that were necessary for people who wanted to build lives in America.
Acommodation is an important issue, buying a house or renting an apartment ? My mom thinks about this matter too much. She decides to rent an apartment and she will buy a house after I finish my studying at college.
An obstacle that she always faces in the daily life in America is the languge. English is not easy to learn, especially at the age of my mom, forty years old. However, communicating with the community where she lives is very vital, she has to learn English everyday.
For immigrants who are at the age of forty or older, I know this is really strenuous to begin a new life. They decide to immigrate to America, it means they have to give up all things that they build almost twenty years in their countries and start over. They leave their houses, their jobs, the relationships that they spend too much time to build them. But they think about the life of them, of their children in the future, they know they should come to America to get a better life

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Chú vha08, từ bây giờ cháu sẽ để bài của cháu bên topic này luôn ạh. Cháu vừa thi lại SAT Dec 3rd thì kết quả là reading: 420, math: 630, writing: 390. Cháu quyết định sẽ thi lại SAT vào May 5th và thi ACT vào Apr 14th.

Hiện giờ thì hôm bữa chú có nói với cháu những trường thì deadline của những trường đó là:
Texas A&M: Jan 15
UT Dallas: July 1
UT Arlington: June 1
University of houston: Apr 1

Cháu cám ơn chú nhiều ạh, nhưng thật sự thì cháu muốn đợi tới spring 2013 mới apply for college

nhathan

Thành viên tích cực

Cháu đã sửa lại bài topic B như chú gợi ý, và cháu thấy nó sao mà dài quá, chú giúp cháu rút ngắn lại ạh

Topic B. (required)

Being a daughter of a migrant family, I had to stop my learning in Vietnam for coming to America when I was seventeen. In my new country, I continued my studying at an American public high school. I found out that The high school education system in American and Vietnam is absolutely different.
The first difference is the study hours. In America, the school starts at 8:00 a.m and ends at 3:00 p.m Monday through Friday. In Vietnam, in the morning, we take the major study hours from 7:00 a.m to 11:30 a.m and the minor study hours from 2:00 p.m til 5:00 p.m in the afternoon Monday through Saturday.
Not only the study hours, is the way that American organizes a classroom dissimilar too. Teachers have their own classrooms and students have to move to the classrooms of their teacher every period. While in Vietnam, they put about forty students in a classroom and name this class. Each period, students stay in their classroom and wait for teachers move to their classroom. So the students often feel that their class is the second family. The homeroom teacher in Vietnam interacts with their student more than in America and looks like their mom or dad.
The main difference is the school program. American uses credit system for high school program. Each state has a separate credit system and students often take the High School Graduation Examination at eleventh grade, this exam maybe has different names in different states. In Texas, we have to get twenty six credits and pass the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills Exit Level Test for English, Math, Science and Social Studies in order to get a High School Diploma. In addition, American has regular classes, honor classes and AP or IB classes. An example, we have Recommended Program or Distinguished Achievement Program in Texas. Especially, the program even in the same state still has some differences in the assorted districts.
On the contrary, education in Vietnam is the homogeneous system with thirteen subjects and three main programs: A (advanced subjects: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology), B (taking basic for all the subjects), and C (advanced subjects: Vietnamese, History, Geography, English). In Vietnam, they put all the honor students in the same classes and call these classes are Honor Classes. Or we have professional high schools for honor students, it is not different from Honor Classes too much. Every student must to take thirteen subjects each year. And after Vietnamese students finish their twelfth grade, they have to take Graduation Exam in the same day in the country. If they fail, they have to wait for the next year to take the Exam again.
The grading scale is also unlike. Vietnamese use 10-point grade scale and the passing grade is 5. In America, the grading scale is very various. The most common grade scale is letter grades ( A through F) derived from a grade scale of 0-100 or the percentile. Because of the grade scale, I have a trouble with my counselor. My school uses the percentile and the passing grade is 70 percent. So when she transfers my transcript from Vietnam, my GPA is only 3.3, I have to explain for her about the grade scale in Vietnam and spend $175 to evaluate my transcripts.
Besides these things, the extracurricular activities in America increase strongly, students join clubs, do voluntary activities after school or on weekend. Most of students in Vietnam choose to take extra classes for subjects such as Math, Science and English after school and on weekend. The student organizations are indicative forms.
I feel that the education in Vietnam is heavier than in America too much, and is not as effective as in America. I hope the Vietnamese education will have a big change to make the education be better.