Ly Le - Admission Essay - First Draft

Dear Mr vha08,

My name is Le Ly. I am in grade 11, Hanoi Amsterdam High school, Vietnam. A friend of mine told me about you and he said that you helped him a lot with his application essay. I have just finished my app essay and I hope that you would give me some useful advice on how to improve it. Thank you a lot and looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Ly Le.

I was sitting tiredly on the train with my mom and dad on a scorching summer day, July, 2007. It was an old train with no air conditioning. Only the ceiling fans twirled around slowly and helplessly. The heat and dust of this old poor province really got on my nerves. Ah! Here came my grandfather’s house. Like other people in this small village, my grandfather had to work hard all day long to earn his living. For many times, my parents tried to persuade him to go to the city and live with us, but with no success. Whenever I visited him, he would always take me around the old neighborhood and showed me a lot of things that I had never known. And that time was no exception.

We were walking on this worn-out path when an old skinny man approached. Under the intense heat of the unforgiving sun, he was drenched in sweat, and his torn clothes made him look so miserable. Without saying a word, I tried to walk pass him as fast as possible with a look full of annoyance and disrespect. I got the scary feeling that he knew what I was thinking. His eyes turned teary and unfocused. But I did not really care. Then, my grandfather gave that man a little money at my surprise. The poor man was astonished, too. His eyes flashed and the smile on his lips made the winkles appeared even more obvious.

At home, my grandfather would not talk to me. I tried to sneak into his room and asked sulkily: “Are you angry with me because of that man? Why do you give him your money? He can work and make money for himself. I think that he is really lazy”. He turned his brown eyes towards me, and placed his huge hand on my little fingers:” My dear, whoever he is, you should at least show some respect to him. I have known him for quite a long time. He lives here alone with an incurable cancer. He can’t do hard work. Walking is already an enormous effort for him. He is a pitiful man hopelessly asking for your help. He may not expect your money or any valuable things. The only thing he wants is the empathy from you to warm his lonely heart”.

Returning to the city, I could not focus on anything. The noisy and busy life here could not wipe the old man’s teary eyes off my mind for a single second. A breeze made it way through the glass window, filling the whole room with a sense of remorse and uneasiness. I felt so stuffy and decided that I had to go out.

My eyes were blurred by the summer day’s intense blaze. The sky poured a flow of honey light onto the ground when the old building’s roof reflected the sunbeam gloriously. Wandering along the golden street, I tried to avoid all the traffic noise and gave myself the chance to hear my own voice. All of a sudden, I heard a weary call from behind and turned back immediately just to find a boy standing in front of me. He was a little boy with sun-burnt skin, looking exhausted in a wet and dirty t-shirt. His brown eyes were strikingly beautiful with drops of sweat falling down from his forehead. I was quite taken aback when he smiled broadly and asked me to choose a something from the heavy bunch of newspaper on his feeble arms. “Isn’t he too small to go out alone and sell things like this? What about his parents? Does anyone knows that he is here?”. I quickly asked for a magazine and took the chance to find out the answer to the puzzling questions on my mind. The boy looked rather suspicious at first, but then told me his name was Nam. Nam was 5 years old and had been living in an orphanage since he was small. Therefore, he could not know who his parents were. Selling newspaper was a way for him and other orphans to earn money. I wanted to know where the orphanage was, but Nam refused and ran away hurriedly. The last sunlight of the afternoon had faded into the far horizon. I walked home quietly with the image of the boy filling my head.

The next day, the temperature was less intense. The sky was stunning with glowing rays of sunlight. The street was more crowded with busy people moving back and forth. I went to the same place at the same time that I met the mysterious boy, patiently waiting for him to come. “You, again?”, a familiar sound caught my attention. I looked back and saw Nam. I repeatedly asked him why he would not tell me where he was living. “It…It…It is not beautiful. It is ugly.”, he whispered as silently as he could, as if he was really afraid that the whole world would know about it. I felt so strange. “What am I doing? Why do I care about someone who is not my family, not my friend and not even my acquaintance?”. I remembered myself trying to stay away from poor children on the street begging for my help. I remembered how sacred I used to be at the sights of poor people in torn clothes approaching me. But at that moment, everything was simply beyond my comprehension. As soon as the sunbeam reached the ground, bringing the glimmer back into my eyes, I came back to consciousness, and saw Nam running away swiftly. For the next whole week, my legs would forcefully lead me to that golden street corner looking for Nam. But he never came back again.

I was sitting on a stifling old train. The heat and dust of the old countryside were right next to me. The only boundary between us was the transparent window shimmering beautifully before my sleepy eyes. I put the glass panel down, just a little bit, to be a little bit closer to the heat and dust that I used to loathe, to hear my heart fluttering like never before. My grandfather’s house was only 2 miles away. I thought I would have to tell him that everything was changing rapidly before my very eyes. I would ask him to help me work out the answer to this strange feeling. But suddenly I realized that the world around me was still the same. It was me who was changing. The train had stopped with a scary sound. Grandfather! Here I come!

Ly Le

Chỉnh sửa cuối:
- You need to register and become a xuatnhapcanh.com member.
-
  • What is your intended major? I will use different editing styles for difference majors. For example: I use Modern Language Association (MLA) to edit and review liberal arts and humanities majors, or American Psychological Association (APA) for other majors.
  • Your 9th, 10th and 11th grades (GPA)?
  • What is your dream, reach & safe universities?
  • Estimate family contribution (EFC)?

- Provide the above informations, then I will help you get accepted into the best school, with the best financial aid package which school will offer to you.

I will help you with one condition: You must agree to let me post your first draft & final essay on www.xuatnhapcanh.com for others student learn from you. Peers review and professional proofread essay are normal in America. Nothing to ashame of. Even American English teacher asked me to proofread their papers.
Yes I agree to let my essay be posted on your website. However, I am only concerned with one thing. How can I be sure that my essay will not be taken by some strange people who visit your website? I am not saying that my essay is so good that other people would want it. I know that there are still a lot of problems with it. I am just afraid that my effort will be taken by someone else. However, I trust you and your website. Because you are an experienced teacher, I am sure my essay will be safe with you. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you
Rest assured, each person has a different writing style. In America, we do not tolerate plagiarism. The admission committees will know if the essay is written by the applicant. I have reviewed hundred essays, so far none has the same style.

I was sitting tiredly on the train with my mom and dad on a scorching summer day in July 2007. It was an old train with no air conditioning. Only the ceiling fans twirled around slowly and helplessly. The heat and dust of this old poor province really got on my nerves. Ah! Here came my grandfather’s house. Like other people in this small village, my grandfather had to work hard all day long to earn his living. For many times, my parents tried to persuade him to go to the city and live with us, but with no success. [I feel that this is a nice and interesting tidbit of information. But... what does it have to do with your topic? What does it have to do with respect or compassion? Although it is a fun fact, it's useless and should not be there.] Whenever I visited him, he would always take me around the old neighborhood and showed me a lot of things that I had never known. And that time was no exception.

We were walking on a worn-out path when a skinny old man approached. Under the intense heat of the unforgiving sun, he was drenched in sweat, and his torn clothes made him look so miserable. Without saying a word, I tried to walk pass him as fast as possible with a look full of annoyance and disrespect. I got the scary feeling that he knew what I was thinking. His eyes turned teary and unfocused, but I did not really care. Then, my grandfather gave that man a little money to my surprise. The poor man was astonished too. His eyes flashed and the smile on his lips made the winkles appeared even more obvious [became more pronounced].

[I switch the words around. From old skinny man to skinny oldman. When you want to list of adjectives for a noun, the best way to do is to go from the polysyllabic words to the monosyllabic words. That is - from longest to shortest to preserve a smooth flow. Unless you have a different purpose for your description, then you would list them according to your purpose.]

At home, my grandfather would not talk to me. I tried to sneak into his room and asked sulkily, “Are you angry with me because of that man? Why do you give him your money? He can work and make money for himself. I think that he is really lazy.” He turned his brown eyes towards me and placed his huge hand on my little fingers "My dear, whoever he is, you should at least show some respect to him. I have known him for quite a long time. He lives here alone with an incurable cancer. He can’t do hard work. Walking is already an enormous effort for him. He is a pitiful man hopelessly asking for your help. He may not expect your money or any valuable things. The only thing he wants is the empathy from you to warm his lonely heart.”

Returning to the city, I could not focus on anything. [Awkward. Consider revision. Such: Upon returning to the city, I found I could not focus on anything.] The noisy and busy life here could not wipe the old man’s teary eyes off my mind for a single second. A breeze made its way through the glass window, filling the whole room with a sense of remorse and uneasiness. I felt so stuffy and decided that I had to go out.

My eyes were [vision was] [You have to think about whether your subject/object matches its action LOGICALLY. Can eyes 'blur'? And can you NOTICE such a change in appearance in your eyes? No. Your vision blurring is something your eyes can perceive. So that is the correct subject.] blurred by the summer day’s intense blaze. The sky poured a flow of honey light onto the ground when the old building’s roof reflected the sunbeam gloriously. [Also awkward. And the subject does not match the action. The sky does not provide light, and so it cannot 'pour honey colored light.' But the sun can, because it provides light - as shown by the use of 'sunbeam'.] Wandering along the golden street, I tried to avoid all the traffic noise and gave myself the [a] chance to hear my own voice. All of a sudden, I heard a weary call from behind and turned back immediately to find a boy standing in front of me. He was a little boy with sun-burnt skin, looking exhausted in a wet and dirty t-shirt. His brown eyes were strikingly beautiful while drops of sweat fell down from his forehead. I was quite taken aback when he smiled broadly and asked me to choose a something from the heavy bunch of newspaper on his feeble arms. “Isn’t he too small to go out alone and sell things like this? What about his parents? Does anyone know that he is here?” [<-- Is this a thought or are you actually speaking? If you are thinking, make it clear that it is not spoken. Generally, you are thinking to yourself, the words should be italicized as this is how writers generally point out that the dialogue is a thought. You also use quotations in place of thoughts in another spot. Can you find it?] I quickly asked for a magazine and took the chance to find out the answer to the puzzling questions on my mind. The boy looked rather suspicious at first, but then told me his name was Nam. Nam was 5 years old and had been living in an orphanage since he was small. Therefore, he could not know who his parents were. Selling newspapers was a way for him and other orphans to earn money. I wanted to know where the orphanage was, but Nam refused and ran away hurriedly. The last sunlight of the afternoon had faded into the far horizon. I walked home quietly with the image of the boy filling my head.

The next day, the temperature was less intense. The sky was stunning with glowing rays of sunlight. The street was even more crowded with busy people moving back and forth. I went to the same place at the same time that I met the mysterious boy, patiently waiting for him to come. A familiar sound caught my attention. “You again?” I looked back and saw Nam. I repeatedly asked him why he would not tell me where he was living. “It…It…It is not beautiful. It is ugly,” he whispered as silently as he could, as if he was really afraid [We call words like 'really' or 'just' or 'simply' fluff words. To inflate the sentence without really give it any meaning. Why do you use 'really' when from your previous use of description, you clearly have the ability to use a better word to convey Nam's fear. Something like 'deathly afraid' or 'secretly terrified' would be much better than 'really afraid.'] that the whole world would know about it. I felt so strange. “What am I doing? Why do I care about someone who is not my family, not my friend and not even my acquaintance?” I remembered myself trying to stay away from poor children on the street begging for my help. I remembered how scared I used to be of the sights of poor people in torn clothes approaching me. But at that moment, everything was simply beyond my comprehension. As soon as the sunbeam reached the ground, bringing the glimmer back into my eyes, I came back to consciousness [reality], and saw Nam running away swiftly. For the next week, my legs would lead me to that golden street corner looking for Nam. He never came back again.

I was sitting on a stifling old train. The heat and dust of the old countryside were right next to me. The only boundary between us was the transparent window shimmering beautifully before my sleepy eyes. I put the glass panel down, just a little bit, to be a little bit closer to the heat and dust that I used to loathe, to hear my heart fluttering like never before. My grandfather’s house was only two miles away. I thought I would have to tell him that everything was changing rapidly before my very eyes. I would ask him to help me work out the answer to this strange feeling. Suddenly I realized that the world around me was still the same. It was I who was changing. The train stopped with a scary sound.[ What kind of sound? A screech? A clatter? A rattle? 'Scary sound' could mean any sort of sound. Is it an anxious sort of scary? An ominous sort of scary? A hopeful sort of scary? Finish painting the picture you are trying to create with this paragraph.] Grandfather! Here I come!

Grammar comments:
  • - Quotations at the end of a sentence should be outside the ending punctuation if it is dialogue. If not, then it should be inside.
  • - Do not use colons to denote the beginning of a dialogue. It will interrupt flow. Use a dialogue tag (said, shouted, whispered, etc.) and comma.
  • - Always be aware of what tense you are writing in. At some points, there are places where you confuse past with present and use both interchangeably.
  • - My only question is: What have you learned from both encounters and how has it changed you? Certainly, I enjoy reading about the catalyst for change, but what did you do with it?

Admission essay is an important part of the admission processes. The essay will also be used in consideration of scholarship and financial aid award for which a student may qualify. Academic achievement may or may not be the factor for the admission committees to accept student, your grade only shows your academic performance, but the essay will show who you are, and will you fit-in and benefit to the school's community. Knowing what the admission committee looking for is the key to get accepted. Basically, what they looking for are:

1 - Command of the English language and writing ability - You have this ability and you have mastered the used of English language.
2 - Ability to present ideas, organize thoughts and convey information in a logical, meaningful manner - You did an excellent job in describing the characteristics of a poor and sick old man and a poor young orphan boy, but you left the reader hanging, which is the next factor.
3 - Your personalities - what you are and who you are, is the most important part which the school is seeking in you. Your only chance to show it to them in your essay.
4- Every year, the admission committee review thousand of applications. Some essays, they just read the first sentence and throw it in the trash can. So, you need to make your application stand-out from others by writing your essay short and interesting. The below outline will help you re-write your essay easier:

I - Introduction:
1 -
On a scorching summer day, Grandpa and I were walking on a worn-out path when a skinny old man approached. Under the intense heat of the unforgiving sun, he was drenched in sweat, and his torn clothes made him look so miserable. Without saying a word, I tried to walk pass him as fast as possible with a look full of annoyance and disrespect. I got the scary feeling that he knew what I was thinking. His eyes turned teary and unfocused, but I did not really care. Then, my grandfather gave that man a little money to my surprise. The poor man was astonished too. His eyes flashed and the smile on his lips made the winkles became more pronounced. Including lesson from your grandpa here, make it short. One sentence is good enough. (Don't forget transition sentence to the story of the paper boy)

2 - (Story of the orphan boy)
(No more than 300 words in both paragraphs)

II - Body paragraph.

(What have you learned from both encounters and how has it changed you? what did you do? - Go in detail your charity works, community works or your participating in extracurricular activities.
(No more than 500 words)

III - Conclusion
Summarize and finish your essay.
(No more than 150 words)

You are a Hanoi Amsterdam High school student, the most prestigious high school in Vietnam, I have no doubt your grade, is also very good. Your English is excellent, with my help, I believe, you will be accepted into a well-known university in the U.S with a generous financial aid package.

lehuongly

Thành viên mới
thank you

Cháu chào bác vha08 ạ,

Cháu rất cảm ơn bác vì đã dành thời gian giúp cháu review bài essay của mình. Sau khi tìm hiểu thêm vầ cũng nhận nhiều lời góp ý, cháu quyết định viết lại 1 bài essay mới. Vì cháu muốn học ngành kinh tế nên có lẽ cháu sẽ viết về 1 kinh nghiệm để chứng tỏ cho mong muốn của cháu.

Vâng cháu đang học trường ams. Nhưng chỉ cấp 3 thôi ạ. Và gpa của cháu cũng không hề cao nên cháu cũng rất lo.
Grade9: 9,1
Grade 10: 8,5
Grade 11: 8,6
SAT I: 2010( cháu sẽ thi lại vào tháng 10)

Về các trường đại học thì bây giờ cháu định sẽ ED Lafayette College vì chị cháu cũng đã từng học ở đó và cháu cũng rất thích trường này.
Mức contribution thì rất ít khoảng 5k/ năm nên cháu cũng rất lo.

Mong bác giúp đỡ cháu thêm ạ.

lehuongly

Thành viên mới
Essay

Dear Mr.vha08,

This is my new essay, I know that it is very long but I hope that you can help me review it and make it more concise. Thank you a lot.

I am a normal girl, born into a normal family, enough to be raised as a healthy daughter and sent to a good school. I also have a normal dream, but somehow my parents do not really take it seriously. Whenever I tell them that I would want to be a successful businesswoman one day, they always laugh at it as if it were so funny. My family never thinks that an immature high school student should determine her future career so early. People may consider me a normal girl, but I can say with confidence that I am not an immature young lady. Therefore, I decide to do something to benefit my dream and prove my parents that they can set their hopes on me. But how? Should I open a shop? Of course not, since I don’t have enough money and solid knowledge of the real market yet, running a store on my own would be too daring. Instead, I come up with an idea that no one in my family has ever thought of: I will work as a waitress at a coffee shop.

“If you need some pocket money to buy a new pair of shoes, I can give you. If you want to make more friends, I’ll send you to a summer camp. And if you wish to improve your social or leadership skills, why don’t you take part in some volunteer works as you did last summer? Being a waitress at your age? At a coffee shop? Downright ridiculous”, my dad tries to emphasize his voice angrily at the end of each sentence. I am totally surprised at the thoughts of my dad. Why doesn’t he know that my desire is simply beyond all of what he mentions? “Dad, please, this will be a great foundation for my dream job later on. I’ll make the most out of it and draw valuable lessons for myself. Please trust me this time, will you, dad?”, I look into his eyes with so much firmness and determination that finally he gives in and nods his head reluctantly. My eyes have always won him since I was small. But this time, I am sure that my unshakable self-assurance solidifies his trust in me.

And so, I throw myself at the position of a waitress at a minimum wage, something that can not feed me the way I am fed now. This job is not simply a way for me to earn money, to open up my social relations or to enhance my activeness. Instead, all of those goals are included to be a small part of my plan. I am truly excited at the precious opportunity of my lifetime and so eager to take the first step closer to my dream. However, I have to admit that this job is nothing like what I expected. Greeting the customers heartily, asking for their coffee choices, delivering the drinks, washing the cups and cleaning the floor all day, those things must be done as quickly and neatly as possible with my wage decreased for each incomplete mission. After a week, I have learned the faces of nearly all the regular clients, I have known what being scolded and looked down on by a complete stranger is like, and I have realized how hard it is when you have to keep calm and smile brightly even if you are treated like a servant. Nevertheless, I am the one to choose this path, and I must be responsible for my choice. I am aware of the fact that with no degree, no experience and no close relationship, a high–school girl like me won’t be offered more important tasks, which means I can not take one more step to reach my goal. No, in fact, it only means I can not go on the route that other people create for me. But I can create a route for my own. Although it may be rough and unsmooth, it will be an important stepping stone for me to pursue my ambition.

My plan is simple. I will try to figure out why my successful boss is so stressful sometimes and what makes him so strict with even minor mistakes of the employees. A few weeks later, I gradually become conscious of how the globally unstable market puts my boss in a dilemma. Since raw material becomes more expensive, the drinks will have to charge more, which will surely decrease the number of customers. However, if the cost remains the same, our shop will consequently suffer from a big loss. Therefore, I can see how my boss struggles to keep a stable price tag and only resorts to increasing it when the shop faces a highly critical situation. Also, as much as I hate having to be grateful all the time, keeping everything perfectly clean and playing repetitively that so-called “relaxing” type of music, I have realized that they are undeniably vital factors which contribute to the promising success of the business. Indubitably, every client is looking for a spacious place with a tranquil atmosphere, beautiful rhythm, attentive service and good drinks at an affordable price. Yet, due to the fierce competition from other shops, all of those ingredients must be mixed well at the best of the staff to guarantee a consistent quality that becomes the trademark of our coffee shop. Moreover, as I start to learn more about the employees who have to work full-time at this shop only to earn minimum wages, it dawns on that a tiny penny is actually much more valuable than what I thought. Earning your own money is hard, but spending the money that you make is even harder, I think I can understand that now.

Two months with the coffee shop actually gives me precious lessons which are far beyond my expectation. I have been treated badly by customers who consider themselves "superior" to me. I have been forced to do things that I don't like. I have been criticized in front of everyone just because I break 4 coffee cups. But above all of that, I have gained a lot of valuable experience for my dream job, I have known a lot of people who I hardly cared before, and I have taken a big step far from my limited outlook, to be closer to my burning ambition. And I know, I will definitely keep on taking small but unshakeable steps to achieve my lifetime dream.

Your grade is much better than a lot of other students, which I have helped in the past. Don't let your family contribution bother you. Just concentrate on the adcom processes. SAT 2010 is good enough.

Your first essay is much more interesting than the second one, and it is exactly what the admission seeking in you. "Giving back to the community" is what school looking for.

http://xuatnhapcanh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9141

http://xuatnhapcanh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10294

Students in the provided links above, all received 100% cost of attendance/education. Their essays, all have one thing in common "Community work". Learn from the winners.

You have lót of time. Don't rush OK

lehuongly

Thành viên mới
Dear Mr vha08,

Thank you a lot for your kind encouragement. I will try my best to rewrite my first essay and I hope that you will continue to give me useful advice during my application process.

lehuongly

Thành viên mới
Ðề: Ly Le - Admission Essay - First Draft

Dear Mr Vha08,
Can you help me check my new essay?

BECAUSE LIFE IS NOT JUST TO TAKE

My childhood was full of memories with my dearest grandfather. In my heart, he was the sage who never ceased to bring additional depth and clarity to my limited understanding. On that scorching summer day, my grandfather and I were walking on this worn-out path when an old skinny man approached. Under the intense heat of the unforgiving sun, he was drenched in sweat, and his torn clothes made him look so miserable. Without saying a word, I tried to walk past him as fast as possible with a look full of annoyance and disrespect. Then, my grandfather gave that man a little money to my very surprise. The poor man’s eyes flashed and the smile on his lips made the winkles appeared even more pronounced.

At home, my grandfather would not talk to me. I tried to sneak into his room and asked sulkily: “Are you angry with me because of that man? Why did you give him your money? He can work and make money for himself”. Then, he turned his brown eyes towards me, and placed his huge hand on my little fingers:” My dear, life is to give, not just to take. Whoever he is, you should at least show him some respect. He may not expect your money or any valuable things. The only thing he wants is the empathy from you to warm his lonely heart”. That night, I could not wipe the old man’s teary eyes off my mind. My head was flooded with sheer frustration and uneasiness. Throwing myself to the computer in an effort to find out a cure for my mental illness, I finally came up with a strange plan.

The next day, the temperature was less intense. The sky was stunning with glowing rays of sunlight. The bus had stopped after one hour of my mounting impatience fused with nervousness. I took a deep breath before opening my eyes to find that I was standing in front of an orphanage. My heart skipped a beat. My feet wanted to move on but my heart started to hold me back. I was standing still trying to muster all my courage when someone patted me on the shoulder: “Are you the one who signed up for our voluntary team yesterday?”. Without me even saying a single word, that nice-looking girl grabbed my weary hand and pulled me through the front gate until we met the volunteer group that I was about to join. They were teenagers of different looks, different heights, different voices, all introducing themselves to me in a deep sense of excitement. My eyes were open in surprise when a crowd of children with broad smiles on their faces ran heartily to us. I got to learn the harrowing fact that these kids had been abandoned by their own parents. Before this orphanage found them, they had to collect garbage, sell newspapers or polish shoes to earn their livings.

We all hurriedly started to put our bags down and carefully unpack everything inside them. Since my team was all high-school students, we could only bring some old clothes, gently-used books, boxes of pencils and packages of candies to give these poor kids. To my surprise, the children were so delightful that they hugged me tightly with their feeble arms. There was suddenly an atmosphere of intimacy that passed by my soul, leaving me here feeling so safe and relieved, in the middle of this totally unfamiliar place. Gradually, we came to get along with one another after having a few small talks and playing some funny games. At the end of the trip, I decided to do something that would last on our minds eternally. The stage had been readily set for my very first performance ever. My legs were shaking in extreme tenseness but my heart was calm when I saw sparkling thumbs-up signs from the cute kids below. I closed my misty eyes, took a deep breath, and sang out loudly at the top of my voice in the spontaneous outburst of applause. As soon as the sunbeam reached the ground, bringing the glimmer back into my eyes, I came back to consciousness, feeling the burning tears running slowly on my glowing cheeks.

Years of living in my own little shell had turned me into a selfish girl who only cared about herself. However, after the encounter with the old man, my small world seemed to change drastically. My grandfather helped me realize how egoistically I had been treating the people around me. I did not come to the orphanage as an outlet for my feeling of utter sinfulness to the old man. Rather, it was something I needed to do to confirm myself that my egocentric perspective on life must be changed from now on. After that amazing journey, my team tried our best to visit other orphanages whenever we had time. Although we could not support the kids financially, we hope to lessen their misfortune and bring them more happiness. Just as my grandfather once told me” Life is to give, not just to take”.

BECAUSE LIFE IS NOT JUST TO TAKE

On a scorching summer day, my grandfather and I were walking on this worn-out path when an old skinny man approached. Under the intense heat of the unforgiving sun, he was drenched in sweat, and his torn clothes made him look so miserable. Without saying a word, I tried to walk past him as fast as possible with a look full of annoyance and disrespect. Then, my grandfather gave that man a little money to my very surprise. The poor man’s eyes flashed and the smile on his lips made the winkles appeared even more pronounced.

At home, my grandfather would not talk to me. I tried to sneak into his room and asked sulkily: “Are you angry with me because of that man? Why did you give him your money? He can work and support for himself”. Then, he turned his brown eyes towards me, and placed his huge hand on my little fingers:” My dear, life is to give, not just to take. Whoever he is, you should at least show him some respect. He
may not expect your money or any valuable things. The only thing he wants is the empathy from you to warm his lonely heart”. That night, I could not wipe the old man’s teary eyes off my mind. My head was flooded with sheer frustration and uneasiness. Throwing myself to the computer in an effort to find out a cure for my mental illness, I finally came up with a strange plan.

The next day, the temperature was less intense. The sky was stunning with glowing rays of sunlight. The bus had stopped after one hour of my mounting impatience fused with nervousness. I took a deep breath before opening my eyes to find that I was standing in front of an orphanage. My heart skipped a beat. My feet wanted to move on but my heart started to hold me back. I was standing still trying to muster all my courage when someone patted me on the shoulder: “Are you the one who signed up for our voluntary team yesterday?” Without me even saying a single word, that nice-looking girl grabbed my weary hand and pulled me through the front gate until we met the volunteer group that I was about to join. They were teenagers of different looks, and different heights, and different voices, all introducing themselves to me in a deep sense of excitement. My eyes were wide open when a crowd of children with broad smiles on their faces ran heartily to us. I got to learn the harrowing fact that these kids had been abandoned by their own parents. Before this orphanage found them, they had to collect garbage, sell newspapers or polish shoes to earn their livings.

We all hurriedly started to put our bags down and carefully unpack everything inside them. Since my team was all high-school students, we could only bring some old clothes, gently-used books, boxes of pencils and packages of candies to give these poor kids. I was dumbfounded, when the children were so delightful that they hugged me tightly with their feeble arms. There was suddenly an atmosphere of intimacy that passed by my soul, leaving me here feeling so safe and relieved, in the middle of this totally unfamiliar place. Gradually, we came to get along with one another after having a few small talks and playing some funny games. At the end of the trip, I decided to do something that would last on our minds eternally. The stage had been readily set for my very first performance ever. My legs were shaking in extreme tenseness but my heart was calm when I saw sparkling thumbs-up signs from the cute kids below. I closed my misty eyes, took a deep breath, and sang out loudly at the top of my voice in the spontaneous outburst of applause. As soon as the sunbeam reached the ground, bringing the glimmer back into my eyes, I came back to consciousness, feeling the burning tears running slowly on my glowing cheeks.

Years of living in my own little shell had turned me into a selfish girl who only cared about herself. However, after the encounter with the old man, my small world seemed to change drastically. My grandfather helped me realize how egoistically I had been treating the people around me. I did not come to the orphanage as an outlet for my feeling of utter sinfulness to the old man. Rather, it was something I needed to do to confirm myself that my egocentric perspective on life must be changed from now on. After that amazing journey, my team tried our best to visit other orphanages whenever we had time. Although we could not support the kids financially, we hope to lessen their misfortune and bring them more happiness. Just as my grandfather once told me” Life is to give, not just to take”.

Notes:

1 - Surprise = unexpected, unaware
2 - Eyes wide open = surprise + perplexity
3 - Dumbfound = surprise + perplexity + speechlessness + overwhelming
4 - And + and = To indicate the list is still go on.
(different looks, [and] different heights, [and] different voices)
5 - (our voluntary team yesterday?”. Without...) No period after question mark.

*** Outstanding. I believe, your essay will make a lot of people cry.

lehuongly

Thành viên mới

Dear Mr vha08,
Thank you a lot for your taking time to read my essay and help me improve it. However, I think that my essay is a little bit long so can you please give me some advice on how to make it more concise?. Thank you a lot.

Your essay is not too long (821 words). I've seen many essays much longer (Over 1000 words and got accepted).

Go ahead and submit your application for early decision.

*** Keep in mind
- Pump-up your family contribution to $10,000/ year, when the school of your dream accept you, and when they sent the acceptance letter, then you can re-negotiate with them your family contribution down to possisble $0.

- Apply as many your dream schools as you can. Use the offer from all schools and let the schools compete. Trust me you will benefit from theirs competition.

- As soon as you get the offers from school, apply for the private scholarships, you will be amazed.

- I will help to re-edit your essay down to 500 words for scholarships. However, for admission, it is fine as the way it is right now.

lehuongly

Thành viên mới

Your essay is not too long (821 words). I've seen many essays much longer (Over 1000 words and got accepted).

Go ahead and submit your application for early decision.

*** Keep in mind
- Pump-up your family contribution to $10,000/ year, when the school of your dream accept you, and when they sent the acceptance letter, then you can re-negotiate with them your family contribution down to possisble $0.

- Apply as many your dream schools as you can. Use the offer from all schools and let the schools compete. Trust me you will benefit from theirs competition.

- As soon as you get the offers from school, apply for the private scholarships, you will be amazed.

- I will help to re-edit your essay down to 500 words for scholarships. However, for admission, it is fine as the way it is right now.
Dear Mr vha08,
I really want to pump up my family contribution to to $10,000/ year but my parents say that the max they can contribute is $3000/year. I know that with only $3000/year it is very hard for me to be accepted by the schools I love. Therefore, I'm really frustrated right now. Could you please give me some advice on this problem. Thank you a lot.

1 - What is your intended major?
2 - THPT transcript? (9th to 12th grade)
3 - SAT or ACT score?
4 - Extracurricular Activities?
5 - TOEFL score? or IELTS?
6 - Your schools of choice?
- - - 1st choice - list schools
- - - 2nd choice -
- - - 3rd choice

lehuongly

Thành viên mới

Cháu rất cảm ơn bác vì đã dành thời gian giúp cháu review bài essay của mình. Cháu dự định học ngành kinh tế ạ.

GPA của cháu:
Grade9: 9,1
Grade 10: 8,5
Grade 11: 8,7
SAT I: 2010( cháu vừa thi lại tháng 10 nhưng chưa có kết quả)

Về các trường đại học thì bây giờ cháu định sẽ ED Lafayette College vì chị cháu cũng đã từng học ở đó và cháu cũng rất thích trường này.

Here is the list of schools will or might meet your needs. Check them out.

1 - Berea College 100% needs
2 - Williams College
3 - Amherst College
4 - Swarthmore College
5 - Middleburry college
6 - Wellesley College
7 - Bowdoin College
8 - Pomona college
9 - Carleton College
10 - Vassar College
11 - Wesleyan University
12 - Smith College
13 - Washington and Lee University
14 - Grinnel College
15 - Hamilton College
16 - Bates College
17 - Colgate University
18 - Colby College
19 - Oberlin College
20 - Macalester College
21 - Mount Holyoke College
22 - Trinity College
23 - Bard College
24 - Lafayette College ( Average financial aid package $35,000)
25 - Connecticut College
26 - Franklin and Marshal College
27 - BYU (reach school)